1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes this piece bad, Vol 1: Ann Coulter on soccer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nobody does that to people who say "Soccer isn't my thing." But the morons who say the sort of brain-dead stuff like in Coulter's column do get that.

2. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Coulter's column is idiotic, but there are a lot of soccer fans who freak out if you tell them you don't like soccer.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

No. There are some. Just like there are some women's basketball fans who try to make it sound like the NBA when you say you don't like the WNBA. At one point, I think there were more fans like that. In the last decade or so, from what I've seen, soccer fans have been happy to think of their sport as more of a niche thing, like hockey.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's just not true.

I'm speaking from almost four decades of quietly trying to ignore soccer, hockey, most college sports, and the Olympics.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, they freak out when you say "I don't like soccer because it sucks." Same reaction you'd get if you told some people "I don't like football (or basketball or hockey or NASCAR) because it sucks."

Don't like a sport? Fine. But don't attack it and be shocked when they respond in kind.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"I don't like [whatever sport] because I think it's stupid" should be a perfectly acceptable answer for all sports.

7. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

I think the freak out is caused when people say they don't like soccer because it's a. boring; b. slow; c. not enough scoring

I admire their dedication.

8. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

I think NASCAR fans like it if you're not a fan of their favorite sport. I kind of think hockey fans are the same way.

I find baseball incredibly boring. I'd rather watch soccer.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I used to be like that for both sports. These days, meh, I don't care as much. People can like or not like what they want, it's no skin off my nose.

My attitude toward soccer has changed too. I still don't go for it, but I'm not going to slag it or try to diminish other people's excitement.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If Rachel Maddow had written the piece it would have drawn
    great praise.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Which makes them different than fans of others sports?

Tell a college football fan their game sucks.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Soccer fans are a lot more fragile when it comes to criticism of
    their sport.

Draft saved Draft deleted