1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes Joe Posnanski a good columnist?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

this post is useless without a link. :D

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2007/11/29/herschel/

Don't say I never did anything for you, Tomas!

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He has a glorious blog. I'll admit to scrolling through a lot of the baseball minutiae at times, but not too fast because he'll put a nugget about Skyline Chili or something in the middle that will be hilarious.

4. That Walker blog post was outstanding.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And it was more effort than just about anyone I know puts into something actually for publication.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Happens to even the best of them, Pilot.

I had a editor tell me that just like the athletes you're covering, there are days that you don't have your A-game. If you're still readable, informative and entertaining in spite of that, you're doing your job.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, so solid.

8. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

WTF, I though we were only supposed to rip on big names because we're insanely jealous of anyone who's successful.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I consider myself lucky that he writes about my hometown.

I've always appreciated his subtle tone on certain pieces. He does sarcasm without being snarky -- like the piece that pokes holes in St. Louis baseball fans calling themselves the best in America.

He does hope without being sappy, like the letter to the young Royals fan asking why he should root for KC.

Like others have said, its such a free, easy-flowing style. It rarely seems forced. It's a rare talent that can write a 50-inch opus and have it read like a six-inch roundup.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

My favorite column by anyone, ever. And though I'm certain I've posted it here before (probably many times, in fact), here it is again.

Posnanski def. Cardinals fans, KO

http://sportsforum.ws/mlb-fantasy-baseball/t-st-louis-fans-legends-in-their-own-minds-123705.html

11. My editor won't let me write columns in first person. Damn him. Not that I could pull this off anyway!

12. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

he seems to have insight into human nature and emotions.

check out this interview he did:

http://www.sportsmediaguide.com/20070226-JoePosnanski.asp

Draft saved Draft deleted