1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes it worth it to you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by times38, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Tennis moms.

2. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I enjoy the competition. I like watching competition on the field, and I like the competition with other writers. I like opening the other papers the next morning to see who had what, who wrote the better feature, who had the better lead on the gamer, all that stuff.

And, while I've become a little jaded, I still love the energy of a big game. I like a loud crowd. I get juiced up about comebacks and upsets. And I like the challenge that writing brings. It's like golf -- no matter how well you do, you always feel like it could have been a little bit better, and will be the next time.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I couldn't agree more, Method. I love the competition of it all. Especially between other writers and editors.

4. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Actually, legitimately, that's true as well. That's what I enjoy. I feel that I can work sources just as good as anyone, so it's fun to see who else can pick up the small details, what kind of advantage they have and what one can do with their words. There's no better competition than trying to outmaneuver everyone in the press room, get the questions off, and then make more of your questions and quotes than the others do having now heard them.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This sums it up for me.

6. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Payday and the 19th hole.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's like almost any other job. It's about the paycheck and never being bored.

There is definitely some monotony in the schedules that some of us keep, but there's a big difference between that and having to become a clock-puncher and sit behind a desk all day...

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

For me, it's the rush I get when I drive up to my parking space and I see the fruits of my labor in a finished newspaper greeting me from the newsstand. It's helping an intern have that lightbulb go off in their heads and suddenly "get it" at least in part because of my guidance. It's seeing the number of wire stories we used drop from 182 in the previous academic year to 21 last academic year. It's those moments when I go to the production manager and ask for more space. It's those moments when I hear someone compare us favorably to other local papers -- or to a major market paper. It's hearing people from other media sing our praises.

Those are the moments that make the trials and tribulations of my job worth the while.

9. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I agree with this, too. I basically wake up whenever I want, wear whatever I want, show up to work (sort of) whenever I want. And, mostly, people don't boss me around. I like the autonomy. And, while the pay sucks, I can think of crappier existences.

That, and the opportunity to nail high school girls.

jk.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Being at a daily again, and chasing deadline. It's a rush.

There are other things, no doubt, but right now it's the deadline that makes it fun, worthwhile.

11. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

I thinkt he rush of working on deadline, knowing anyone can watch a game but not as many can write it well. Seeing the faces of people you write about (high school kids) when they see you. The occassional parents saying congrats. The ones who give you free food when you try to buy it because they just appreciate you being there.

and the groupies of course.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yes, groupies.

Draft saved Draft deleted