1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes her so special?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

The same can be said of Michelle Wie.

[/quote]

I have the utmost respect for Michele Wie nowadays. Yes, she was annyoing about 6-7 years ago, but she was a kid and doing amazing things for her age. Everyone wanted a piece of her, which is why she was offered exemptions to every tournament under the sun. Nobody would turn down those offers.

But when she stopped being cute and stopped appearing at the top of the leaderboard, she took some time off and then went through Q School to get her LPGA card. There's no shame in that, whatsoever.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not sure about a Michelle Wie comparison. She was quite the prodigy at a young age with an amazing swing and power. Won the US Women's Public Links at age 13. Her problem was that from there she chased playing with the pros (men and women) instead of piling up amateur/junior titles like cordwood, and eventually the media turned on her (and her parents). Finally she's settling in on the LPGA Tour, where she belongs, and has a win this year.

Danica's never going to settle in to some female racing circuit, obviously. She'll always be going against boys, and in NASCAR she'll likely be the only female as long as she out there. And she will be out there as long as the sponsorship money comes flying in, and I don't think she'll have to win to have that.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I have the utmost respect for Michele Wie nowadays. Yes, she was annyoing about 6-7 years ago, but she was a kid and doing amazing things for her age. Everyone wanted a piece of her, which is why she was offered exemptions to every tournament under the sun. Nobody would turn down those offers.

But when she stopped being cute and stopped appearing at the top of the leaderboard, she took some time off and then went through Q School to get her LPGA card. There's no shame in that, whatsoever.
    [/quote]

Sorry, just realized I went off on a completely different subject.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Auto racing is about sponsorships. You can't win if you don't have a car. You don't have a car without sponsors.
    There are other drivers who have been racing for longer that haven't been as successful as Patrick, but they stay in cars because they keep the sponsors happy.
    If you know who sponsors Patrick - she has done her job.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Both. You want to win, but as others pointed out, you also have to be able to get attention to attract the sponsorships necessary for you to keep driving. There are plenty of good drivers left out in the cold because they can't scare up sponsorship money. Heck, Jeff Gordon went to NASCAR because he couldn't get the sponsorship money necessary to run IndyCar.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You're right. Danica hasn't won a race she hasn't started. Good call.

The luminaries who HAVE won the Daytona 500: Ward Burton. Derrike Cope. Jamie McMurray.

Sure do hope Danica someday lives up to Derrike Cope's career, indeed.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I met Derrick Cope once. He was signing pictures, coffee mugs and such at an Exxon station in town. One of his career highlights, I'm sure.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Those guys have won it TWICE?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

She races because she loves it, because it's what she does best and because it pays her more than anything else she could be doing.

Same exact reason why I work at a newspaper. Because I love it, because it's what I do best and because it pays me more than any other job I could get.

So what's the problem? It isn't HER; it's the attention OTHERS give her.

Starman says "start winning or hang it up."

Why? When most people look at IndyCar results or channel surf and happen to see a race being run, the FIRST thing on their minds is "Where is Danica?"

And as long as that's the first thing on most people's minds . . . nothing will change.

There will ALWAYS be some people who get more hype than they "deserve". Whether it's John Daly or Terrell Owens or Allen Iverson or Tim Tebow or Kim Kardashian, that's just the way things are.

10. CR19

CR19 Member

Well said.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Yes, indeed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would hit it, and then I would make a t-shirt to wear saying that I did hit it.

Hell, I may even get a Judah Freidlander hat as well.

If I was still single...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted