1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes her so special?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've tried very hard to be objective about this. What is the fixation about Danica Patrick, aside from her being a female professional driver? If she were a male, would she be given such a royal pass? I don't have anything against her, but her skills haven't impressed me. Yeah I know her cars aren't the greatest but what makes her special?

2. CR19

CR19 Member

If she was a guy, the headlines wouldn't focus on her. With from "Go Daddy" commercials and selling out her pit crew, she really doesn't deserve the attention.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I feel the same way.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's not just that she's a female driver. It's that she's a pretty female driver.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What makes Dale Earnhardt Jr. special?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

End of thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Drip

Drip Active Member

An A cup on a dirty beach isn't sexy IMO. Sorry.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Patrick can hardly claim this excuse. She's been driving virtually her entire career for the Rahal-Letterman and Andretti-Green teams, some of the richest ownership in the sport. She's had the sports money interests bending over backward to make sure she was in good cars with a good chance to win.

As for what makes her so special, the answer starts with the novelty of a race car driver also being a smoking hot babe who comes across great on camera and came along right when open wheel racing was absolutely desperate for a marketable image to sell to mainstream America.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Her mulligans are all used up.

The excuses are getting real old.

Start winning or hang it up.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

She's a diva, but pretty good with the media. That helps tremendously.

She's not a bad racer, but she'll never be a title contender in IndyCar with the competition. She could get a second win at some point if the chips fall just right. She's highly unlikely to do anything in NASCAR either, but she'll get a few years grace period in which she won't be expected to do much and she'll make a ton of cash.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Since when don't you like dirty beaches? Did your back-door neighbor move?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Join the discussion when you grow up. Until then....

Draft saved Draft deleted