1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes anyone think Roe v. Wade will be overturned?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No, you didn't. You threw out two ridiculous, illegal hypothetical situations after asking for some ridiculous stipulation that we not FORCE abortions, as if any of us wants that.

Care to try again?

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Trust me, I know what responsibility is. I have taken control of my personal situation by ensuring that I won't bring a child into this world that I cannot afford and am not emotionally prepared to raise. I have helped many friends to educate themselves and follow through on selecting a birth control so that they, too, can be responsible and not produce a child they can't properly care for.

For the record, I have never advocated abortion as a means of regular birth control. But I believe it should be legal and, as a medical procedure, regulated for the health and safety of women.

And it is not all about money, but living costs money. Food, clothing, shelter, at the very least. But money doesn't grow on trees, and conservatives don't want it to come out of their pockets, either. You can't create the problem without offering a solution.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Veering away from the never-emotional, always thoughtful abortion debate for a sec, I've thought for some time that abortion is the most overrated of all election issues. We've had every combination of Rep/Dem White Houses, Congresses and Supreme Courts, but very little changes. And as Starman pointed out, most states probably would do nothing to make abortion any less legal than it is now -- the high court isn't going to declare abortion unconstitutional; even when I was a foot soldier in the right to life movement once upon a midnight dreary, that never came up. They'll either codify its legal status, or it won't do anything one way or another. And my guess is, the states that do ban abortion probably don't have many in-state abortion providers anyway, so the impact will be muted.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Abortion, as it is practiced today in the US, is done almost exclusively for regular birth control. Anyone who doesn't admit that is lying to themselves.

And why is this "medical procedure" rarely practiced in hospitals? Seems to me it's almost exclusively practiced by abortion mills called "clinics" to try to make the existence of the business seem legitimate.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Do you have links or data on abortion rates at hospitals vs. clinics? I can't find any. The CDC's annual abortion surveillance data collection does not break down by location. And for the purposes of conversation, do you consider an OB/GYN's office to be a hospital or a clinic?

6. Habeas Corpus

Habeas Corpus Member

Hey, I tried. Read the board for years and thought I would chime in on this one since I actually do have some knowledge on the subject.

To the poster above who noted that SoDak voted down the abortion ban: the fact that there was no mother's health exception was a significant reason for that. If the same bill, or better yet, an identical bill but with a mother's heath exception, were put on the ballot in Utah, I'd bet it would pass.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Tony, I guess you want the women in your life to stick one of these up in them if they're raped and they get pregnant.

[​IMG]

Cause I guarangoddamntee you that if I'd gotten pregnant when I was raped, I wouldn't have had that bastard's child and it would have out of my body as soon as I could have gotten it out, regardless of what I had to do to get rid of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. o_t has no stats. He just knows.
    And the real target is not Roe, which is being slowly gutted de facto until its de jure existence won't mean much, but Griswold and a recognized right to privacy. That's because the "movement" in national politics is all about the control of women's sexuality. And it always has been.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Maybe you are right about the politics to "control of women's sexuality" thing.

But Griswold was still a perversion of what the judicial system was established for. All the "penumbras" and "emanations" in the world don't change the fact that there is no "right to privacy" in the Constitution. It's not in there. Never was. It is a giant load of made-up sophistry. And even if there was anything resembling that in the Constitution--and there isn't--it is the vaguest "right" someone can possibly make up. Anyone can construe it to mean anything.

I wasn't born yet when the Warren court created the mess that is Griswold. But if you were and you thought perverting the judicial system that way made sense, today you are reaping what you sowed.

We no longer have legislatures to make the laws and courts as a check standing by with a copy of the Constitution in their hands. Now we have courts that have wrestled away the authority of the legislatures. Forget the three branches of government.

And we are seeing the natural extension of Griswold. If judges can make up stuff based on a political or social philosophy and just ignore the constitution (which is what their mandate is REALLY about), the court has been turned into an extralegal body that creates laws. They have free reign to just make up things and ascribe them to the constitution, so when you change the political or social leanings of the justices, you have the possibility of them overturning the BS made up by their predecessors and ascribing new made-up things to the Constitution based on their social leanings.

That is why Roe v. Wade is at risk if you change the make-up of the court. Nothing in the constitution has changed. It's the fact that social issues like these are not covered by the constitution and these things shouldn't be made legal or illegal by a court. If these were judicially sound rulings--in the sense that court rulings were for 150 + years -- Roe would be safe, regardless of the make-up of the court.

People will vote for a president based on potential Supreme Court justices, because the justices--who aren't elected by anyone--have more power to create legislation than the people we actually elect. It's a farce.

Your hero, Jemmy, would be turning over in his grave. And you know it.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The right to privacy's implicit.

And those (like the current scumbags) who take joy in chipping away at it . . . can bite me.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Implicit? Why did they bother actually writing the constitution on paper and making it so difficult to amend if some things are just "implicit"? Why weren't freedom of speech or freedom of religion implicit? And if it is implicit in the constitution, why did it take until 1965 for anyone to actually recognize it is implicit?

12. Except, of course, when the principle of judicial review was established -- in Marbury vs. Madison -- Jemmy went along with it. Grudgingly, and not as enthusiastically as Hamilton in Federalist 78, but he accepted it.
    There is sound legal reasoning in Griswold, particularly in its reliance on the Ninth and 14th amendments, especially the latter which, in its original intent, was adopted (somewhat ironically) as a rebuke to the "originalist" line of constitutional interpretation that had prevailed up to and through the Civil War. (Douglas is the "penumbra" and "emanation" guy. The Goldberg and Harlan II concurrences are much more substantive, IMHO.)
    The rest of your post is, alas, more originalist boilerplate. The distinction between "judicially sound" rulings and ones you don't like seems arbitrary at best. Was Plessy "judicially sound" because it lasted until Brown v. Board? Or was the latter the product of "social leanings"? Griswold, whatever you may think of it, was not decided on "social leanings" whatever the hell that means. It was decided on the basis of the majority interpretation of the Ninth and 14th amendments, as well as White's interpretation of the due-process clause. These guys weren't NARAL lobbyists. (White dissented in Roe, for pity's sake.) As to Ben's contention, please re-read the Ninth Amendment, and the history over why it was included. Madison's change of heart on the Bill of Rights was completely engineered by the notion of the Ninth Amendment, and the concept of not limiting rights by simple enumeration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.