1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a great SE

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, May 11, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Great post, Huntsie.
    I think that's one of the most important things I learned, especially about being loyal. I've had too many SE's who toss their writers to the wolves.
    For some reason, as an SE, I figure one of your main responsibilities is being a shield for your writers so they don't have to listen or deal with all the bullshit and they can just write.

2. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Delegate and get the hell out of people's way so you can leave time for life out of the office as well. Saw one too many managers who ended up unhappy workaholics and I learned by watching their crash and burn jobs. Surround yourself with good people you can trust so you can leave at a decent hour on a low event/no event day and know the job will get done. If you want to work long hours to get your staff where it needs to go, fine. Just take timeouts for yourself to enjoy your life and to watch the sun set occasionally, because in the end, the workaholic who never takes the time to enjoy himself, his family or his kids, will end up in the same place as you -- six feet under.

Draft saved Draft deleted