1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Legacy Do You Hope to Leave Behind/Contribution to Society

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Aug 8, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I just want to LOL! be the best person I can be.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I stand by my original post.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

So nothing has changed in two years?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I only got sexier.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And less coordinated [/crossthreading]

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

my legacy will be my three sons. i am confident they are slated to do far better, more significant things than i.

no man could be prouder. :) :) :)

ADD: lest our recent discovery of "bubba burgers" dooms us all. ::) ::) ::)

7. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I don't have kids, so I expect these to change when I do have a screaming beastie or two down the road.

As a journalist, to be fair, comprehensive in my coverage and occasionally move people when the right story comes along. I hope readers get enjoyment out of reading my stuff as a whole, whether they always agree with me or not.

As a person, to have made someone's life better, even if just in the short term. I volunteer with Make-A-Wish, and the feeling you get from coming in and being able to make someone's life brighter, no strings attached, is just tremendous. It doesn't matter whether the kid is 3 or 18 or whether there's one parent, a whole gaggle of loving adults, nine or no siblings. Getting to leave a deserving person or a family with not only the wish itself, but the memories of the wish and the knowledge that people out there who don't know them personally are willing to go out of their way to do something special for them is awesome in the most literal sense of the word.

</sappy>

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I just want to do no harm.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I just want to do some harm.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't have kids of my own and left journalism, but I volunteer here in Morocco with Peace Corps.

Mostly, I work with kids who've never seen an American and have few positive female role models outside the home. Beyond teaching them about American culture and the English language, I hope to bring awareness about such topics as SIDA, the environment and teamwork.

So far I've been doing all right, but I doubt I'll ever know the impact. I guess no one really knows how far their work will ever go.

It'd be hard to measure in journalism, for sure. You never know how readers react to your stories, and what actions they take because of what you've written.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

KJIM: For what it's worth, and I realize it's probably not a whole heck of a lot, I am proud of you.

Good for you! The mission you've chosen is noble.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Great question.

I would like for my friends and family to remember me as someone they loved and respected and could always count on to do the right things.

I hope that I will have continued to (try to) teach my sons to be stand-up men who also try to do what's right whenever possible......but to not take shit from anybody, and to never settle for anything less than they rightfully deserve.

I also hope that my loved ones will know (from my having told/shown them) how important they were to me and to my life, and how lucky I was to have known and loved them.

On a professional level, I hope that I will have continued to write words to which I was proud to attach my name. I hope that whenever someone reads something I have written, they understand that I very much enjoyed the privilege of writing it, and that I took it seriously in the sincere hope that they would read and appreciate it.

At my funeral/memorial service, I want them to play "In My Life" by the Beatles......because it'll just about sum everything up. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted