1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What kind of computers do you have in your office?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 6, 2008.

1. StraightEdge

StraightEdge Guest

We got new Dells with Windows XP two years ago thanks to the annual capital whatever from the mothership. Before that, 10-year-old somethings running Windows 95.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Newer iMacs. Intel Core 2 Duos. OS 10.4 and Adobe CS3 suite. Quark 7 is what we use for most of the layout.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Fortran is not a legacy.

It's a clear violation of the Geneva convention.

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

Sports writers have iBook G4s. News reporters have Power Books.

Can't remember what the deskers have, but last year the desk switched to inDesign from Pagespeed. We use inCopy now, too.

5. Microteks.

No blue text for a reason, folks.

6. The Granny

The Granny Guest

My god, man. That sounds horrible.

7. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

A few managers have G5's. Most of the rest of us are stuck with G4's. The computers run OS 10, but our very old pagination system, which is a piece of shit, only runs on OS9. Nothing like working on a layout and having OS9 just quit for no reason, causing the system to quit as well. This seems to happen near deadline more often than not.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

OS 9 is the reason I will never praise a Mac no matter how well the newer stuff works. A POS PC from the '90s could run circles around an OS 9 machine.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So you work for Ogden....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Mac G4. It's painfully slow running InDesign. Good thing I never have to use that program since I work for a newspaper. ::) :-\

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

the computers we have are ok, only a year or two old. The software (network and word processing) they have us using on them is at least 8 years old.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Buck, I didn't know we worked at the same shop.

SportsJournalists.com crashes my work computer.

Draft saved Draft deleted