1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What keeps you in it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SilverAndBlack, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

The monthly bills from MasterCard, Mazda, Esurance, rent ... and, sadly, little else because I feel stuck.

2. House

House Member

I'm still in my current position because I'm still looking for a news job. I love to report, and I love to write, but I don't love sports. I love the hell out of watching college football, etc., but I have no desire to keep chasing teenagers so I can write about them chasing a fucking ball for their high school. It's time for something new.

The business as a whole? I'm in it because I'm above average for the skill set needed for the job.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The desire to get a job and work my way up the ladder so I can jerk around Fredrick at a 10 a.m. meeting with my fellow management fucks.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I was out at a high school soccer tournament yesterday, pretty large one, and a ton of good teams.

I was waiting for one of the games to end, standing by the gate next to the field, and one of the parents next to the field recognized me, and asked if I was still doing what I was doing.

He then said to me that he was one of the parents from the out of town team, and he and his son, now at college, remembered me because of a turn of phrase I had used to describe a goal his son had scored maybe two or three years ago in a club competition, and that description was one of the things his son and he remembered most about his soccer career.

I would really miss those kinds of moments if and when I ever have to give this up.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's awesome, GB.

I've gotten out of writing (never was really my thing, though I scraped together an OK career out of it) and am a full-time desker now. Set hours, sleep in my own bed, and I still get the rush of handling breaking news, just from a different angle.

I'm not doing what I thought I'd be doing when I started out...but I don't know if I really knew what I was doing then either. So it's been a weird road, and we all bitch about it sometimes, but it's far from the worst thing in the world. :)

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

That is awesome.

I did a feature about three generations of baseball players in a family and it was so well received.

The grandfather came up to me after and said, "You're always welcome in our house."

Not that that specifically was what was important, but that one story could bring so much joy to a family was quite overwhelming.

7. smsu_scribe

smsu_scribe Guest

Wow, Den. I don't know how you can really top that as far as feedback on a story.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

This, minus the playing sports or working retail part.

I wouldn't have an issue working retail -- hell, it'll probably pay better -- I just don't want to hear my family bitch about not having a "professional" job.

9. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

If you can be a manager, retail will probably pay better. But if you get a full time job as just a general worker or something, it pays less.

Speaking from experience here...

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

i've run into a lot of people who I've written features on when they were in high school and they always say the article is framed somewhere and they still read it.

The newspaper model is not dead, folks. It was killed by idiots like the ones who run Gannett. Let's just give those articles away for free on the internet even though we can't sell any ads. So smart. And let's let our readers make anonymous comments even though in the real newspaper letters to the editor must be signed.

Draft saved Draft deleted