1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your irrational hatred?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 26, 2007.

1. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I wouldn't know.

All I know is that State has a pretty serious chip on its shoulder, and most of said uni's fans have a serious issue accordingly. Not saying the Sooner faithful aren't just as rabid and irrational, just different.

OSU's just always been kinda viewed as "lesser" by a great deal of the population.

I think they're both fine schools, though when it comes to football, it's still the Sooner nation.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

1. Stairs
    2. People who are intolerant of other people's culture
    3. The Dutch

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

People who are incensed about immigrants who don't speak English.

Shrubbery

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Next you'll be saying they need to have their own schools.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Bill Belichick
    John Elway
    Roger Clemens
    Broccoli
    Bridges
    Frogs
    Thunder and Lightning
    Coca-Cola
    A guy I work with
    My alma mater
    Members of this board

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Stupid drivers. I was driving home one night and this car that was about 30-40 yards behind me had their brights on. We passed a car going the other way and they dimmed them, but as soon it was clear the dumb bitch turned her brights back on. I pulled over and let the slow-moving idiot pass me and I was about to get right up behind her and turn my brights on until I saw a cop coming the other way. I was not happy that night.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Coca-Cola? What the hell is your problem?

Why can't you hate Pepsi like a normal person?

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Because Pepsi is God's gift to caffeine?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

After all my years of trying, it worked!

IJAG hates me! :D

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, I've hated you for a long time. I just use you for your insight on rental cars.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm with IJAG, Coca-Cola is nasty. But that's about all anyone in my family drinks.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Steely Dan. The only time I recall swooping down and unjustifiably shitting on an SportsJournalists.com thread, it was about the Dan.

While it can be fun to have irrational hatreds, I really try to keep from being comfortable with them. Any time you demonize something- particularly a person or, worse still, a group of people- well, that's when good people do bad things. So I try to watch so that things don't get bad.

My harmless or semi-harmless irrational hatreds include: Calvin pissing stickers, the NY Yankees, loud motorcycles, bad grammar and bad spelling, flashy sports cars, the Detroit Red Wings, most Hollywood movies, the Pittsburgh Steelers.

More troubling, my prejudices against people: religious fundamentalists, the ultra-rich, people who work in banking and finance. I loathe Ulster Presbyterians, even though 1/3 of the people who bear my last name are Ulster Presbyterians (I have an Anglo-Irish last name and most of the people with my name are in Ulster- the family is pretty much equally divided three ways between Catholic, Church of Ireland and Presbyterian).

Not hate, but I really dislike Oklahoma, Northern Virginia, Philadelphia and Northern Louisiana. I make myself be open-minded and fair when I meet people from those areas, but it's a constant effort.

Draft saved Draft deleted