1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your favorite day of the year?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 2, 2016.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

3/14 is one of my favorite days of the year. I am a vegetarian, for what it is worth.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

How the hell did I miss Vomb's post?

Vombatus likes this.
  3. The first weekend in Sept.
    Football has started and the night race at Darlington.

The Sunday/Monday the week of the Thanksgiving ... the opening day of gun season. Been hunting/camping with my dad and relatives for 30 years.

Batman, exmediahack and Vombatus like this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'll say one thing bad about Thanksgiving: that Black Friday crap. I used to really enjoy that whole four day weekend, but 25 years ago my sister started obsessing over Black Friday, dragging our parents into it, and me. Getting up at 4 AM. Fuck that. And all the materialism that goes into that as well. Come to think of it, that Black Friday crap hangs over for a whole month and screws up my enjoyment of Christmas too.

Thanks, sis.

Tweener likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Friday before the first day of deer season for modern firearms (as opposed to bow or black powder seasons).

My brother, father, my two remaining uncles, assorted cousins and I gather at our cabin in the mountains on land that's been in our family since the 1830s. We laugh at the same old jokes we have for decades. My brother and I go around pulling SD cards from all the trail cams to show the old men photos of the deer on the property - knowing they won't go any farther than the front porch of the cabin on opening day. We grill steaks from last year's deer, make baked potatoes and devour pies and cakes sent up by our wives. By 9 p.m., the hunters are getting into bed - while the non-hunters are starting a game of gin rummy and starting on another round of drinks.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Not to be confused with 3/15, which is a day of which to beware.

I don't have a favorite day, and I find it surprising that so many people do.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Used to be Thanksgiving because meant a guaranteed 4 day weekend and meant family gatherings.

Now, its the day in May which starts my one 4 day visit to Palm Springs for an annual golf outing with 15 other guys; simply the most fun 4 days/3 nights of the year. Golf, poker, cigars, great food and great wine and most importantly the easiest 15 guys to get along with; not a hesitation to mingle with any of them. Its competitive but not even close to over the top where winning becomes more important than camaraderie, something that's priceless to me.

Tweener likes this.
  8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My birthday.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Last year, because of our kids' in-law/SO obligations on Thanksgiving Day, we had our family Turkey Day celebration on Friday, which left the wife and I at loose ends that day. So we decided to do something a lot of people abhor, the pre-Black Friday sales on Thanksgiving night. We ate our Thanksgiving dinner out, then stood in line at Kohl's for a pleasant 45 minutes before they opened at 6, went to Belk's later on and ended up getting a large percentage of our Christmas shopping done and out of the way. The crowds weren't bad and we ran into some significant bargains. We finished up with hot chocolate at the mall food court. It's not something I want to do every year, but it wasn't a bad day at all. Any time I can spend with my bride is time well spent.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Along the same lines......next weekend is the Father's Day frolic we go to each year.
    12 going this year. 18 holes Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
    Individual tourney.
    Just a great group of guys to be with.
    Great 3 days.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Awesome!! At my age, I really appreciate how fortunate it is to find an outing with a great group of guys. Enjoy Chef and keep making those memories!

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

when the kids get a little older, I hope to establish a Father's Day tradition of getting away from them.

Draft saved Draft deleted