1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is With Society's Hatred of Fat People?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bacon Cheeseburger, May 23, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is quality right there.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

Agreed. Rock solid, BTE.

Although every time I see your handle, I crave a bacon sandwich. Weird.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I comprehend fine. I'm just trying to keep the discussion to the subject of weight and obesity as health problems without slipping into matters of legality.
    Of course children shouldn't smoke, and it's illegal to sell tobacco to them. Understood.
    But there are a lot more children hooked on fast food, soda and high-sugar breakfast cereal than there are children hooked on smoking.
    Setting aside the issue of legality, which represents a larger potential health risk?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it's so acceptable. In today's world, there are fewer and fewer groups that you can comfortably vent at, that you can act superior to. Overweight people are in that category. And weight is such a default slam at people on this board. Why, "the fat fuck" might as well be the legal first part of Michael Moore's or Rush Limbaugh's name here. And there are a helluva lot things more crucially wrong with our society than people's weight.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

If I'm 20 pounds overweight and I hate myself, am I part of the problem?

6. dooley_womack1

If you hate yourself because you're overweight, and not because of any truly significant character flaws, than that's a problem you needn't have.

7. KG

KG Active Member

Ok I'm a part of the problem too. While I wouldn't say it in public (or even worse, to his face), there's one person I write about that has been called a similar, umm, term of endearment like the above by me on occasion. In somewhat of a defense, I offer compliments about him much more often than negative comments.

8. dooley_womack1

That reads like one of those Page 6 mystery teasers about a "certain celebrity being seen doing coke with teenage hookers"

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Then ask that we get back on topic. But if you understood what I wrote the first time, then in the future please refrain from misrepresenting what I wrote to make your point.

10. KG

KG Active Member

Well I've already been such a potty mouth today that I don't want to say too much or I'll really get on a roll. And knowing me I'd feel guilty later.

11. dooley_womack1

OK, feel guilty about that, but not about weight. ;)

12. KG

KG Active Member

The only weight I'm regretting are the ones I lifted yesterday when working with a trainer at the gym. It hurts like hell to straighten my arms all the way out.

Draft saved Draft deleted