1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is this? What are these crazy people doing ... bumping fists?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The NATIONAL news did a piece on the fist-bump, pound, "closed-fist high five," whatever you want to call it between Barack and Michelle Obama.

It's just weird to me. I just picture a bunch of old white people saying "What is this thing those people are doing? They can't just hug?"

Am I reading too much into it? And I do apologize in advance for the d_b calls that will likely follow this. There were too many political threads for me to read every page of every one. Have fun, Moddy.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/vp/24974371#24974371?GT1=43001

Also, I love the fact that's the story and not the ass-slap that immediately followed it.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Awesome. Just awesome. :D

A kick-ass president and a kick-ass first lady. I love it.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I think it has something to do with gangs.

4. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I saw something about that on tnr.com, talking about what a tough time the mainstream media had in describing it. For the record, it's called Daps. Not sure why:

http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2008/06/04/dap-politics.aspx

“Taking a fist-pound from wife Michelle, Obama stepped to the podium Tuesday”—MTV.com

“Michelle Obama (L) gives her husband, Democratic presidential candidate U.S. Senator Barack Obama, a knuckle-bump as a sign of support before he speaks to supporters.”—Monsters and Critics

“At 09:09:27 Central Time, Michelle Obama gave Barack Obama a pound in St. Paul, Minnesota.”—Lola New York

“I never realized how romantic and respectful and mutually appreciative and loving a frat-tastic fist bump could be. Could it be the new peck-on-the-cheek?”—The Frisky

"... Obama, who was joined on stage by his wife Michelle, with whom he shared a celebratory fist-bump.”—Reuters

“Obama, began with a loving fist to fist thumbs up with Michelle.”—Capitol Hill Blue

"Loving fist to fist thumbs up?" Oh, we have a ways to go.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

No problem here, and I'm white and semi-old. Actually seems kinda cool to me.

Of course, my wife and I did a little forearm bash as we finished walking down the aisle in the back of the church at the end of our marriage ceremony, so I may be a bit biased here.

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

I bask in the glory of multiple fist pounds each day. We call 'em daps.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ha! Grimace, I told my friend I called it dap or daps and he said that was seriously old-school.

To him, a pound was going down with it, one on top of the other, while a fist-bump was what the Obamas did.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What's the big deal with it?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What are you the 1988 Oakland A's? :D

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Stand by your man indeed. Bet Bill won't get one of these anytime soon from Hillary.

12. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Along with his Jay-Z brush off reference, it means he's cool.

Somehow I can't see McCain giving Cindy daps without breaking a hip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.