1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the worst college football team to win/share a national title?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sorry. There are few who hate Nebraska more than I do, but the Huskers would have killed Penn State that year.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And you base that on what? Can you cite any sort of actual evidence to back that belief?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But you can make a very strong argument that they do deserve to be there, too. And if you replaced them you could make a very strong argument that that new team doesn't deserve to be there. That's going to be the case as long as it's just a two-team selection process. In the BCS era I think the only team that truly didn't belong in the championship game based on its credentials was Nebraska in '01.

4. Mizzougrad96

What about Oklahoma which got there after being drilled in the Big 12 title game?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. But hasn't the formula changed since then? Seems like there really hasn't been a terrible case of injustice like that lately. And since in retrospect USC was over the salary cap, it's OK by me anyway.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

JoePa's and Tom Osborne's track record in bowl games indicate otherwise.

7. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Mizzougrad96

Steve Spurrier thought the Cornhuskers did quite well in bowl games.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Stoney, once again, I broke down the schedules - the way you are supposed to, by looking at the top teams each team played.

Nebraska beat two top ten teams, Penn State beat none. Penn State did not play one of the toughest schedules that year - they didn't play a tougher schedule than Nebraska.

Computer rankings for strength of schedule are meaningless because, again, they are far more about how shitty the shitty teams are on your schedule than how good the best teams are.

Both teams played six games against teams with winning records, Nebraska played two teams in the top ten with ten wins or more, Penn State played none.

The computers, however, give Penn State credit because their shitty teams weren't as shitty as Nebraskas (example 2-9 temple over 0-10-1 Iowa State). Those games, however, are not relevant because presumably if you switched them they'd get blown out by either team.

Penn State, however, doesn't have anything on its resume even close to beating Miami in the Orange Bowl and beating an 11-1 no. 2 ranked team like Colorado by 17 points. Nothing even close.

10. Mizzougrad96

What was Oregon ranked in that Rose Bowl? For some reason I remember the Ducks being No. 18 or something like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted