1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the tallest statue in the world?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DemoChristian, Mar 24, 2008.

1. I know we've debated wikipedia on here, but according to them, the tallest statue in the world is in the middle of nowhere in China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_statues_by_height

It's a golden statue of Buddha that stands 420 feet. The Statue of Liberty is 151 feet.

[​IMG]

According to the following blog, it's part of a military headquarters and is off limits to foreigners.
    http://themalarkist.com/2008/02/26/exposing-the-spring-temple-buddha-military-headquarters/

I don't know why, but the whole thing has me fascinated. I looked at it with Google Earth to make sure the thing was actually there. Now I really want to go see it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Flash

Flash Guest

What's the statue of Jesus in Rio?

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Never mind. Christ the Redeemer is only 130 ft.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

may not be the tallest, but it is the greatest:

[​IMG]

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The world's tallest Sam Houston statue is 67 feet high in Huntsville, Texas. I've stopped to see it; you can't miss it. :D

[​IMG]

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Shawn Bradley.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I always thought it was a tossup between Brendan Haywood and Serge Zwikker.

8. I really thought this would spark more conversation. I love statues and can't wrap my mind around one that tall. It's even more interesting because of the secrecy around it.
    But maybe I'm alone in that.
    Here's what it looks like on Google.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=33.77515%C2%B0,+112.451016&ie=UTF8&ll=33.77476,112.451731&spn=0.002774,0.004989&t=h&z=18

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I always thought the tallest statue in the world was Will Perdue

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Funny story about Big Sam. In the woods behind the statue is one of the Sam "heads" they ended up not using, a massive empty shell of a head. One night, a buddy of man dropped acid, then we went on a road trip to Huntsville (for whatever reason...). I took a digital pic of my buddy skull-f-ing Big Sam's empty head.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Nice stuff.

12. I didn't realize the Colossus of Rhodes was only about 107 feet tall. That was big enough to qualify as a "wonder of the world?" Bunch of lazy pre-Christ dwellers...

Draft saved Draft deleted