1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the most disappointing single season for a pro sports team ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

On PTI yesterday, Michael Wilbon called this year's Lakers team "the most disappointing team ever"

He probably has a point since most people thought as soon as the Nash and Howard trades happened that the Lakers were penciled in againt the Heat in the finals, or at least against OKC in the Western Conference Finals.

What other teams could enter this argument?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

'86 Chicago Bears, maybe? They were good in the regular season, but early exit from the playoffs.

Sticking with Chicago, the '04 Cubs belong on that list, too.

I know they made the Finals, but what about the first Miami Heat team with LeBron? They took a long time to gel that season when everyone expected them to win 70 games, then tanked against the Mavs.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Last year's Marlins. Picked to win a bunch, finished last, had team torn up.

'92 Mets ("The Worst Team Money Can Buy")

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I think the Mets you're thinking of are the '93 edition. That's the one that lost 103 games.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The late '80s A's teams of LaRussa. One World Series? Really?
    The Eagles of the last couple years were pretty baffling.
    Various USC teams.
    90s Bills. Those guys were stacked on both sides of the ball.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'll echo Dan with the 2011 Philadelphia Eagles.

Also, this past year's USC football team has to be near the top of the list. Preseason No. 1 to 7-6 and in the Sun Bowl.

And who could forget these guys?

[​IMG]

They finished 61-101.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Klapisch wrote about the '92 version, which was supposed to win the pennant, but fell apart and won just 72 games in spite of considerable off-season spending. Since they already were losing, the '93 team didn't have that many high expectations. Little did anyone know they would manage to embarrass themselves further.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

?

Maybe last year's Marlins were the most disappointing pro baseball team based in Miami. Definitely not the most disappointing pro sports team ever.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Not sure how a team that made the finals can be one of the most disappointing of all time. Although we do have a poster who thought the Heat should have traded Lebron after they got off to their slow start that year.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a bit of an out-of-the-box pick, I admit. And I don't think you could apply it to any other sport, but in the NBA, the best team usually wins the title.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Any of the Braves teams from 91-05, except 1995.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Lots of recent entries. To continue that theme, last year's Red Sox shocked me - I thought they would win 100+ games & a title. On paper they were as stacked as any team in recent memory. I kept waiting for them to turn it on & storm into the playoffs.

On the flip side, I was not disappointed.

Draft saved Draft deleted