1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is the Internet?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Jan 30, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I actually did. Thanks to my computer science friends when I was an undergrad. My first Internet account was 1987. The Internet was by no means new. Students didn't get them automatically. In fact, few had an account. You had to use your PC as a dummy terminal, fire up your 14.4K modem and dial up to a VAX machine and know a few Unix commands. It was all text (ASCII) based, and basically there were two worthwhile apps. One was e-mail. I used PINE, a Unix program that would crack up people who use things like Outlook. The second was Usenet, which gave you access to newsgroups dedicated to specific topics.

I remember thinking it was the coolest thing when I posted a question to a sports-related Usenet Group and got a couple of personal e-mails from random people in Europe, Canada, etc. I guess it was my first inkling that the thing would be powerful.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go tat far. Hell, I was 10 years old in 1994 and had been using Gopher for about year by that point.

By 1994 Mosaic was already in use for http. FTP had been in use for years.

I wouldn't expect Bryant Gumbel to know HOW to access the internet in 1994...but I would expect him, as a member of the mass media, to know WHAT it was in 1994.

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

We used a Gopher mail system at school. I remember being able to get AP copy on this crappy yellow and black screen and being absolutely stunned. We were so excited about email that we sent what are equivalent to text messages back and forth just to say that we had stuff in our inbox.

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I think maybe people confused their terms back then. Gumbel probably knew what "AOL" or "Prodigy" was, but didn't understand the concept of an "Internet" or "World Wide Web" that existed across ISP's. I know I didn't at that time.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hell, I was all over the internet in 1994. I was Anon 3:24.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The World Wide Web opened up the internet to the masses. It was pretty much in its infancy in' 94.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wikipedia says that MSN debuted on August 24th, 1995.

I know that I first got online with MSN using Netscape, so it must have been after that.

I know AOL was around before that, but, I don't think it's as crazy as it looks for them to be unable to give a good definition of the internet in 1994.

I thought the @nbc.ge email address was interesting too.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

AOL was NOT the Internet. It had a lot of subscribers, but it was a closed service that limited you to their content and closed off the actual internet from their software.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Not out of touch because before the internet the word didn't spread quickly. I was online in '95 or '96 and I don't think anyone else I knew was on yet. My dad heard about the internet having some encyclopedias on there or something so he got AOL. Then my mom got addicted to chat rooms and the thing stuck.

10. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I knew about bulletin board services and the like probably in 1994, but it took a year or two to realize the scope of something like the world wide web and to start hitting web pages that weren't really local in nature.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

They also used candles and lanterns to see at night, so what does that tell you? Too dumb to just flick a fucking light switch.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I get that. Sorry if I made it seem like I didn't.

I just meant that people were using their computers to access information by using things like AOL. Just as a frame of reference, I was trying to say that the growth of the World Wide Web wasn't too far off.

That's why I'm defending them for not being able to clearly define the internet or pronounce "@".

Draft saved Draft deleted