1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the greatest individual performance you've ever seen in person?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Brian Frickin' Giles! You got me wondering where he is now. Didn't find out, but his wiki entry is legendary. After his girlfriend sued him because he wouldn't support her indefinitely, according to wiki, he lost his big endorsement deal: for Nair hair removal cream. WTF?!?!

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I believe you're looking for the jacks off thread. :D

Vombatus likes this.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, that reminds me. I covered the Larry Bird-Dominique Wilkins shootout at Boston Garden in the 1988 playoffs.

If you're wondering how that reminds me, see the "Skills you have that are obsolete" thread.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Reggie Jackson's 3 HR in 1977 WS. My dad's friend gifted him two tickets the afternoon of the game, which would be the second greatest individual performance ever.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

In high school I won a 3200-meter race and lapped the second place finisher twice. Maybe that was actually one adequate performance against like six really, really bad ones.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He had to see about a girl?

LongTimeListener likes this.
  7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If we're talking about near-misses, I unexpectedly got the night off on May 18, 2004, and lived about 90 minutes from Atlanta at the time. It looked rain, however, so I did not go see Randy Johnson's perfect game.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Bernard king's 60 on Christmas Eve in a loss to the nets.
    A few years ago, someone sent me a link to the NBA.com quick video on that game and at the end of a crowd shot is 11 year old me and my father (who hated sports and just went to make me happy and because he got the tickets).

Vombatus likes this.
  9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Piddly ol' NCAA first-rounder, but the crowd almost blew the roof off at Vanderbilt's Memorial Gymnasium ...

Mike Buck knew it doesn't get much better than this. He wasn't just good, he was perfect. Jumper . . . swish. Free throw . . . swish. Every time he took a shot . . . swish, swish, swish.

And when it was all over, Middle Tennessee State scored the final 21 points of the game - yes, 21 consecutive points to end the game - and beat 13th-ranked Florida State 97-83 in the NCAA tournament's Southeast Regional.

"After the first couple of threes, I just kept shooting," Buck said. "We needed somebody to do something. They didn't know who I was. Now, I'm not sure I'm used to all this attention."

Buck was 7-for-7 from the field, including 6-for-6 on three pointers. He was 6-for-6 from the free-throw line.

He scored 15 consecutive points during the 21-0 run. Florida State, which led 67-50 five minutes into the second half and 83-76 with 5:05 to go, was blown away.

THE BUCK STOPS SEMINOLES IN NCAA OPENER<BR> BLUE RAIDER PLAYS PERFECT GAME | Deseret News

Fsu Buckles Under Pressure

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Feels weird to see a poll ranking in an NCAA tournament story. By then everything is about the seeds.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I've never been a beat writer for a pro or major college team, so I can't match some of these answers, but two buddies I drove 2.5 hours to Fenway to see Red Sox vs. Rays on April 8, 2001. Game-time temperature was 41 degrees, and Pedro outstanding. He struck out 16 with a slight drizzle falling throughout. He pitched eight innings, allowed three hits and no runs. It was vintage Pedro during what should be considered the most dominant stretch for a pitcher in the history of the game.

Sports: Martinez: 16 strikeouts, 3-0 win

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gator, you saw plenty. I can tell you that covering the Sox back then, when you worked any game Martinez pitched, you went to the park thinking "today I could see something I've never seen before."

Gator likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted