1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the greatest individual performance you've ever seen in person?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 8, 2016.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I can't think of anything on the college or pro level that stands out, but I once saw a high school volleyball player serve a perfect 25-0 set. She had a kill at the start of the match to gain the serve, and wound up scoring 31 straight service points. The opposing team was meh, not good by any stretch of the imagination, but not horrible. Not 0-32 horrible, anyway.

2. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, it was Mark Mulder. I think he threw 94 pitches in 10 innings.

Edit: here's the box April 23, 2005 Houston Astros at St. Louis Cardinals Box Score and Play by Play | Baseball-Reference.com

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Christopher Plummer as Prospero in "The Tempest" at the Stratford Festival.

Huggy, Killick and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was a pup in the biz covering the California State Track and Field Championships when Ricky did this on the anchor leg. Had no business winning that leg, which pretty much gave Compton the team state title even though the Tarbabes brought just 4 guys to the championships. It really was a moment of moments. The second leg, Ed Hervey, tweaked a hammy the night before, which made his performance that much more memorable. I covered a lot of great teams over the years but that Compton quartet is probably my favorite.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I was in Arlington for two impressive moments: Bill Mueller hitting grand slams from each side of the plate in the same game; and Beltre hitting for the cycle.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Gary Payton dropping 58 points on USC.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Was anyone here at Dodger Stadium when Tatis hit 2 grand slams ... in the same fucking inning?

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This is the best play I ever saw in person:

If you extend that wall straight out instead of bending it toward Pesky's Pole, I was sitting right there, so I had a perfect view to see him catch it as he flipped over the wall.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Tiger Woods winning the PGA Championship in a playoff
    or
    Bill Buckner losing his grip and letting two bats fly into the stands and hit spectators in one game in the Astrodome.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I should have added a third to my initial post. Woods at the 2000 US Open at Pebble. Beyond dominance into something else altogether.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted