1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the greatest individual performance you've ever seen in person?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago, I was at a game where Manny Machado hit three home runs in the first three innings of a game. That probably does it for me.

What was the best performance you've ever been on hand for?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I thought this'd be easy, but it turns out I'm torn. Was it being there for Michael Jordan laying the playoff record 63 on the '86 Celtics or Michael Johnson shattering the almost 30-year old record in the 200 meters in Atlanta in '96?

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Saw Mark Prior strike out 16 over eight innings back in 2003 against the Brewers. Sammy hit one onto Waveland. Then Borowski blew a 3-2 lead in the ninth. It was the perfect Cubs game.

Also a contender was David Wells pitching seven innings of perfect baseball against the A's in September 1998, just a couple months after pitching his perfect game earlier in the season. It got broken up by a Matt Stairs double, IIRC, but he was dealing.

Not nearly at the same level, but in my first year as a reporter, I covered a high school pitcher who threw a perfect game and a no-hitter in consecutive starts. The only reason the second wasn't a perfect game was because the catcher missed a third strike in the dirt and the batter reached.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Roy Halladay's playoff no-hitter. Just unreal. For my money, a better performance than his perfect game a few months earlier.

Also, a more collective answer: I got to go to several games during the Sixers' 2001 playoff run, and Allen Iverson's performance throughout was unlike anything I'd ever seen. He topped 50 twice, 40 six times, and 30 14 times. I'd put his run against Toronto in the conference semifinals up there with the best seven-game series performances of all time.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Clemens and a Cardinals pitcher, and I can't think for the life of me who it was now, both took one-hitters into the 10th when he was with Houston. Best damn game I've ever seen.

Also, I saw Sammy Sosa hit the train one afternoon at MinuteMaid.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I suppose we are talking about athletic performances by pro athletes and not our own multi-hour sexual achievements.

dixiehack and cjericho like this.
  7. three_bags_full

It had to have been Carpenter.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

LSU wide receiver Josh Reed vs. Alabama in 2001: 19 catches, 293 yards — both still SEC records

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

First game I thought of. ... Day before my birthday, July, 1990. Royals-Yankees @ Yankee Stadium. Bo Jackson hit 3 home runs in 5 innings before hurting himself in the field and having to leave the game. He hurt himself diving for a Deon Sanders line drive where he almost made an amazing catch. The ball went to the wall for a Sanders inside-the-park home run.

Another one I just thought of. Yankees-Red Sox @ Yankee Stadium, August, 1985. Ken Griffey Sr. made this catch, the best I have ever seen in person. It stuck with me because my dad and I were sitting in the left field stands and the catch was right in front of us.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In terms of one play, I also saw this in person:

[​IMG]

Also saw him shatter his leg against Florida about three weeks later.

Bradley Guire likes this.
  11. three_bags_full

And I think Bama was up like 31-7 when he did it.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The late small-college star Dave Russell (Shepherd) hitting 22 of 23 from the floor in one game, mostly from outside 27 feet.

Draft saved Draft deleted