1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the fascination with David Eckstein?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Walter_Sobchak, Oct 27, 2006.

1. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Mariners fans, however, are pretty pissed about Spiezio getting another ring.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Whatever else he does as a Cardinal, my favorite Eckstein moment probably will always be the walk-off grand slam he hit against the Braves last August.

3. BG

BG Member

If you think Angels fans are miserable about Weaver getting a ring, try being a Tiger and seeing him get the win in the clincher.

Ugh.

edit: By the way, I'd take an Eckstein on my team any day.

4. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

What is an Eckstein? Yes, he busts his ass, but I would venture to say that 80% of Major Leaguers also go balls-to-the-wall every game. People only notice Eckstein because he's so small, and his whirlybird motions stand out significantly more.

As for Eckstein's production, he was 47th in the National League in on-base percentage from the leadoff spot among qualified players, and even when you compare by position, among 24 MLB shortstops who qualified, he was 13th in OBP, 21st in SLG. He hits for zero power, and doesn't steal bases. So even when you account for his position, his stats aren't good.

If I'm a manager, I want someone who busts his ass, and puts up production. Eckstein does one of those.

Now, as someone mentioned before, I think the more interesting part of Eckstein is how there's significant history of kidney disease in his family, and how he's playing in spite of that. But there's nary a mention of that in all of these fawning stories.

It's all about how much of a "gnat" he is, and how he looks like he's 10 years old.

The point is, as was the point of the FJM blog, that this is the World Series, and it seems like the only thing people wanted to talk about was Eckstein. You couldn't get away from it. There were 49 other players in the Series... and yes, obviously the MVP is going to get some attention. But prior to Games 4 and 5, he sucked.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

David Eckstein IS a cartoon character.

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Last time I checked you do not play major league baseball unlike a skilled David Eckstein. His efforts make his team better in a way stats will not be able to prove. Clearly he is doing something right as he has played on two world series teams and many playoff teams. I guess you are trying to say that his teams win despite him.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

More like this one, though:

[​IMG]

Eckstein's Wikipedia entry says he was chosen "most helpful" and "sweetest" in his high school graduating class, two adjectives you can't use to describe Crappy Doo.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

TOR!

9. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

As an Angels fan, it didn't really bother me because Weaver sucked as an Angel. Edmonds is old and breaking down more every day. Eckstein, sure, I'll give the little Hobbit credit. He had a decent series (though he may be the worst Series MVP in history).
    If people are trying to intimate that if the Angels had Edmonds, Eckstein and Jeff Weaver, they would've won the World Series, well, they don't know much about baseball.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Well written, pall.

Draft saved Draft deleted