1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the "coolest" franchise in sports?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 19, 2015.

?

What is the "coolest" franchise in sports?

1. Chicago Blackhawks

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Green Bay Packers

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Montreal Canadians

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. New York Yankees

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  5. Chicago Cubs

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. Boston Red Sox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Boston Celtics

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  8. Los Angeles Lakers

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  9. Dallas Cowboys

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  10. Other

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I don't have a definitive answer for this poll, but I was thinking during the Stanley Cup Playoffs how cool it is for the franchises that have basically the same uniform for most of their existence.
    Some of the visuals of arenas being filled with red jerseys or blue jerseys were great. I saw that when the Ducks played the Jets, then the Flames then the Blackhawks. I told my kid we just had to accept the fact that our team has changed its uniforms over the years and that's the way it is.
    We go to Honda Center and there are teal/white, black/orange, solid orange (from the Dodger Stadium game), black/white (from the early 2000s), and a lot of fans have the road white jerseys. The arena is a hodge-podge of jerseys.
    This ties in with when you have a highlight show on the TV that you're not really watching but you glance at from time to time. You look up and you can't even figure out who's playing. No so when it's the Red Wings or the Canadiens, etc.
    I remember a couple of years ago the Angels and the Rangers had almost identical jerseys when the Rangers used their red color scheme. You glance up at a highlight show, a player is kind of twisted and you see ANGE on his jersey -- Anaheim or Texas??

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I though Mack was pretty much out of the loop and his sons were the ones who sold out to the guy who moved the team to KC?

But otherwise, yeah, although he was in a two-team city and was dealing with the Federal League in the first case, and the Depression in the second case.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

St. Louis Cardinals, cyberspace division.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Those are some excellent points.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Too many "dad's teams" on the list. I think cool is not caring about how "things have always been done." I think the Warriors are pretty cool in the NBA, even before they won the trophy.

6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I don't like or dislike them, but the Seahawks are a pretty cool team (as are all things Seattle)

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This poll seems like it should've been asking, "Whose fan base contains the most frontrunners when they're good?"

SpeedTchr likes this.
  8. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

It's the St. Louis Cardinals. Relatively small market team that pretty much is always in contention. They "turn water into wine" as so many over-the-hill players seem to rejuvenate their careers when they put on that uniform. That happens with them no matter who owns, runs or manages the team. It's amazing how almost anything they do ends up working out for them. Plus their continued success drives most Chicago area Cubs fans crazy and as a Cubs hating White Sox fan that makes me chuckle even when my team blows like it has for the last three seasons.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The jersey consistency makes it tough to buy cool throwback stuff.

I'm very blessed to be a White Sox fan.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You converted for the jerseys?

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I went with the Celtics. Same traditional unis, the parquet floor, the championship history and the fact that they played in the old Boston Garden, which I always thought was the coolest arena in sports (although I imagine it was probably a pain-in-the-ass dump for those who had to attend games there).

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You know it's the Angels because the Rangers wear TEXAS home and away.

Draft saved Draft deleted