1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the biggest point spread you remember?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

It's great when you make a Kevin post!

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I can't find it documented anywhere but I recall Houston being favored by more than 60 against SMU leading up to UH's 95-21 win that year.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

In the opening game of George Allen's one year at Long Beach State, the 49ers were a 58-point underdog to Clemson. I bet a buddy, thinking no one could cover such a spread. The Tigers won 59-0.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine Fullerton at Florida got up there back in the day.

I remember betting Kansas to cover a 40-something line against Nebraska on a parlay - they didn't.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Late L.A. Times great Mal Florence used to tell the story about USC playing at Washington State as a 50-point favorite in 1974. He made a bet with Jeff Prugh or Dwight Chapin (I can't remember which one) getting 100-to-1 odds. If Wazzu beat the spread, Prugh/Chapin got a dollar. If USC beat the spread, Prugh/Chapin, had to give Mal $100.
    USC was leading, 54-0, halfway through the fourth quarter. Wazzu managed to get a touchdown, thus beating the spread, 54-7. But Mal said it the best bet he ever lost because it was hilarious watching Prugh/Chapin sweating it out the entire fourth quarter.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wasn't the NFL record set back when the Pats started out 18-0? I think it might have been the Philly game that year when the Pats were something like 25-point favorites.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think it was one of the Dolphins games. Want to say it was 18 or 19 pts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. JackReacher

One got up into the mid 20s, though. I remember betting it. And probably losing.

Then again, I'm not intelligent enough to remember back that far, so...

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I left that fucker wide open for you, and you slammed it home. :D

10. JackReacher

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/item_Ec48UI5AoYKSjsG8TYPXbK

22-point favorites against the Eagles that year, according to this story.

Not sure if that was the highest that year, but for some reason I remember that one.

Edit: It went up to 23.5, the largest NFL line not involving expansion teams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3120882

Pats won that game 31-28. I'm sure I bet the Pats. Only becuase I wasn't intelligent enough to take the points.

11. I remember pretty clearly that there was a 63 point spread when I was a kid, I believe it was Houston (can't remember the other team) and they covered. My early days of the tip sheets and it cost me.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yeah, and they lost to Stanford.

Draft saved Draft deleted