1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Best National Sports Site to Subscribe to?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Mar 26, 2021.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I subscribe to the Athletic because of the breadth of it's coverage. For five dollars a month I know that I if a team does something I find interesting I can find coverage in the Athletic.

ESPN Plus has some good national writers but I feel that I can find their similar material free for free elsewhere. I like Zach Lowe and Bill Barnwall but the Ringer also has excellent football national NFL writers and a platoon of NBA writers. I don't see where I would get $50 of value subscribing.

Sports Illustrated continues to have the most talented national writers but its local sites are very erratic in quality. Though I still pay $20 a year to subscribe.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

ESPN+ also comes with a ton of additional live games, including all NHL games starting next season. Just something to consider.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  3. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Yeah, ESPN+ gets my money for the live games. The material behind the paywall is a bonus.

I also subscribe to the Athletic. I got one of those $1 deals so it's a bargain. Not sure if I'd pay the $60 a year or whatever.

4. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

The Athletic if you want real journalism. ESPN+ if you want to keep up with rumor mill.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

One of the little joys of 2020 was canceling my sub and picking up the $1 deal under my wife's name and credit card.

PaperClip529 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted