1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the appeal of Mickey Mouse?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just got back from Disney World about a month ago. A trip for four was over $5K.

My kids are 4 and 5. They could not have possibly had a better time. They haven't stopped talking about it since we got back. We had friends come over the other night and they had shown them out pictures from Disney World, their autograph books etc.. Hell, my kid got to fight Darth Vader at Hollywood Studios.

Worth every penny...

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

See, I would enjoy Epcot for that very reason. Just to see how anachronistic it is.

And bear in mind, I'm not here with my kids. I'm here to work, which admittedly means I'm not typical of the people who are here.

But I see plenty of adults who are going to Disney without kids. That I don't get at all.

3. Bubbler

$4-5K? Not a criticism, but good for you if you can afford a vacation like that. I know I can't.

And if I could, I doubt I'd spend it at Disney. Shit, I'd probably go to EuroDisney so I could see Paris too.

4. Bubbler

And this thread has strayed off-topic. My original point is that Mickey Mouse himself is lame and overrated as hell as an icon.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We saved for three years so we could take the kids... Needless to say, it's not something we can afford to do every year...

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't have anything against Mickey Mouse, a sharp-dressing confirmed bachelor, or his beard, Minnie.

It's Donald Duck, who has a convenient relationship with Daisy Duck, an explosive temper and unsupervised access to a trio of mischievous nephews.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The Goofy cartoons where he (well the narrator) explains all the different sports are bloody brilliant. I will fight any man that says otherwise.

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Cultural inertia. The rodent stays around because he's part of the landscape. Also, because Disney invests so much in keeping him around and - like others have noted - toddlers aren't the most discerning of viewers.

It's like a lot of the stable of DC Comics characters. Aquaman and Hawkman have always struggled to sustain on-going series (despite an infinite number of relaunches, reboots and reconceptualisations) but there they are, like cockroaches after a nuclear war.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So is Brett Favre.

I can't exactly speak for all of America's children, but do any kids today completely wrap themselves in Mickey Mouse himself? Sure, they'll watch the Disney Channel, get into the princesses and umpteen other characters, but I'm not sure I see a lot of evidence of Mickey Mouse. I'd argue that he's been marginalized by all the other Disney-alia; he looks almost antiquated when trucked outside the Magic Kingdom gates for parades or sporting events or whatever.

It's like the kids wear the mouse ears and get the overpriced souvenir when at Disney World, then trash it when they get home and go back to the video games.

Or maybe I'm wrong.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's because Aquaman is useless: http://vimeo.com/5541344

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Aquaman had pretty good hair for a guy who spent all that time in the water.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Disney's mistake was keeping all the cartoon shorts under lock and key instead of taking the WB route and syndicating them to all comers.

Draft saved Draft deleted