1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the appeal of Mickey Mouse?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I really think they ought to work a cow (as in cash cow) into the Disney World character scheme. At $80 plus a person, it's like they're just printing money on a daily basis in Orlando.

And what amazes me is the number of Europeans who make Disney World a vacation destination. That's a lot of Euros streaming into Fla. Maybe we should consider a deficit reduction strategy to build Disney theme parks in every major metropolis up and down both coasts.

2. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

You're remembering the second incarnation of the program from the mid-90s, after Cap Cities/ABC bought the Disney Co.

Love Disney. Always have. Worked at the parks for one very memorable summer. But the appeal of the company goes way, WAY beyond the mouse these days.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He is quintessentially American. That's usually all it takes.

4. I blame children.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

This.

Best line:

Bugs Bunny. I love the shit out of Bugs Bunny. He's a Hall of Fame shit-talker, using his wits to cut you to pieces, and failing that, he'll literally fuck your shit up, usually via heavy Acme explosives.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

In deed, great stuff.

Great to see some love for Foghorn Leghorn who was the fucking man...or rooster...you know what I mean.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but did Bugs ever use Acme explosives?

Did the Road Runner loan them out?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was wondering about that, too.

Road Runner never really used them, either. He just scared the damn coyote into blowing himself up once in a while.

Bugs Bunny kicks Mickey Mouse's ass in every way. Sure, he is a rip-off of trickster god tales about characters like Anansi, Loki and Nanabozho that go back long before the United States existed, much less Bugs himself, but he's so much more fun. (I know. Odd tangent. I've developed a real fascination with mythology of late).

I think the greatness of Bugs Bunny is why I always found this Family Guy cutaway so disturbing.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Mickey was good in the beginning...

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well done. And yes, Bugs Bunney would fuck that rodent up. Can you imagine Mickey coming in, hearing Minnie screaming in the bedroom, and then as soon as he opens the door, that trap nails her?

Or maybe once of those new fangled traps, where you put some bait inside, and the mouse climbs through, goes around in a circle and then snap, it turns out Minnie wasn't really in the trap, it was a recording, and now Mickey's neck got broken.

Good stuff, Bubbler.

PS -- stick around a week and you can tell all that to my sister's little kids.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Bubbler's rants on anything are always awesome and great to see Daffy Duck get some love.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Edited to return some bandwidth to the internet.

Speaking of bloviated, yeesh.

Draft saved Draft deleted