1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is it about accents?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Thankfully, no on all accounts.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

All British accents are not the same. Scouse would make my boner shrink immediately. The Northeast is full of ugly, ugly accents. Cockney is no treat either.

I hate Australian English. Nasty shit. It's as painful to these ears as a Boston accent.

The ones that work for me? Native Spanish speaker accents, French and some of the Nordic languages.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You should hear someone speaking German with an American accent. Like nails on a chalkboard.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think people here mean English accents, as in the Queen's English of Oxford University and generally, the upper class.

And as far as Cockney goes, it's almost a dialect rather than an accent. Problem with English accents is that they're class-laden.

Same goes with a Scottish accent which most North Americans would associate with Edinburgh than Glasgow.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

After university, while I was bumming around Europe with all the other hippies, I worked in a hotel in Switzerland.

I was pretty much fluent in French and German at the time and since a lot of the kitchen workers were Italian and most of them spoke passable French, that became our common language.

At the end of my stay, I spoke French with an Italian accent which puzzled people to no end when they found out I was Canadian.

Also, at the time I was working in Zurich in the German speaking part of Switzerland so my previous Hochdeutsch turned into Swiss German which is the sound of 1,000 people gargling.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Is that anything like a fat Yank trying to pull off a faux Southern accent?

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I saw a singer/songwriter named Lenka perform at a small show in LA a couple months back the day her first CD was released. She walked past me before the show and was about 5'2, with a great body. What really got me, though, was when she would talk in between songs. She's a great singer, who can play multiple instruments well who's very cute and has an Australian accent. I was D.O.A.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

MAHN-chestah, England. Daphne from "Frazier." Swoon...

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

The stalking continues: Found out the Brit doc is unattached. My friend -- who has a friend who is a friend... etc. -- informs me that not only does the doc live very close to me, but if I were to to go our neighborhood coffeehouse on Saturday mornings, I'd likely catch her there. It's a favorite hangout.

Shouldn't someone inform the police now, and save time on the filing of that protective order? ;D

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

She hasn't actually rejected you yet, so....

If you meet up with her and things go well, perhaps it'll be a nice romantic story someday. If not, then the cops can get to work on that protective order. :)

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Somehow, I see this story ending not romantically but with me getting to know how pepper spray feels when it gets in your eyes... you know, like most of the stories of my love life.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Romantic-comedy behavior gets real-life man arrested

Draft saved Draft deleted