1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is it about accents?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Feb 17, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My dad, from major metropolitan Olive Hill, KY, says "warsh" and "tree" for the number between two and four. He also says "yellow" when he answers the phone. :D

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I say rut beer. It's not quite "rut", but its closer to "rut" than "root".

Can't explain that one other than picking it up from my deceased mom, who also said crick for creek. I used to too, but dropped it a long, long time ago.

Of course, my dialectical calling card is my handle, only Milwaukee-area natives and some New Englanders use that one.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Mom also uses the phrase that something's "leaning towards Fisher's" when something's crooked. She says that one's from back home, too. No Fishers lived anywhere around, so she has no idea the origins of that one. Weird hill people. ;D

IJAG, I wish my dad would answer that way. Lately, he's taken up answering in a horrible Hop Sing-esque Asian accent. [/slapping forehead]

But, back on topic... I wonder if in England (for instance) an American accent will get you some play. If so, I'm packing in the morning.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Oh yes, it's true.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Was he the governor at some point? Mike Lowry put the goober in gubernatorial. He called his own state warshington.

6. Bubbler

They all think we sound like cowboys. I suppose if the chick is into cowboys, maybe.

And not all Brit accents are gold. Scottish accents aren't sexy, nor is a true Cockney accent either.

Now an Irish accent? Indefatigable.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Oh, Scottish accents are a fine, fine thing in my world.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

my ancestors are scottish and welsh, just so you know sc.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You are engaged though. . . too bad ;)

10. Bubbler

I can see that in men, but I can't think of a single Scottish woman that sounds sexy in her regular voice. Lulu? Sheena Easton? Deborah Kerr?

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Oh, I disagree on Scottish accents, Bubbs. Shirley Manson was on Craig Ferguson's show the other night, and I taped it just so I could replay it and listen to her again. And again.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

My mother, father, grandparents and uncles all possess(ed) a Southern accent.

I don't. Maybe that's my problem, along with countless others ...

Draft saved Draft deleted