1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is it about accents?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Interviewed a 38yo Brit microbiologist today for a story I'm working on, and I gotta say I came away completely smitten. Now, it was a phoner. Never met her face-to-face, though I did see some pics online (she's pretty cute, which helps) and she's wicked smart (of course), but it dawned on me that I really had no basis for being affected so.

Finally, I deduced it had to be the accent.

Why oh why am I such a sucker for an accent? I don't think I'm alone in this affliction, either, am I?

(BTW, I already sent out the batsignal to a friend at the local U to see if she's seeing anyone. May have been a stalker-ish move, after only a 25-minute phone call, huh?)

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sweet lord no. Any accent (southern doesn't work that much, but Boston, NYC or any foreign one for sure) will melt me at hello.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

There's nothing like a northern accent, ya knoh.

4. Killick

Hmm. Agree that southern doesn't work (for me, at least), but NY doesn't do much for me either. I guess I associate it too much with the two Noo Yawkers I've known -- both old, hippy white dudes.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

a southern woman's accent is much, much better than a northern accent.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Boston, NY, even a good Fargo accent if the guy is cute enough. But definitely Italian or French or something like that is way hotter.

English and Australian are the gold standards. The international desks are right near where I sit at work, and sometimes I'll just listen to them talk.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

ok, a northeastern accent on a girl is good, but a southern is best in the states. british accents are stunning.

8. Bubbler

German accents are sexy in women, but don't strike me as sexy at all in men.

The exception being Phil Hartman of course.

[​IMG]

As for southern vs. northern accents, Mrs. Bubbler sounds like she has a southern (Hoosier) accent to my northern ears, so I can't argue with you, Angola.

She has always disputed her accent, but when we were in Milwaukee, I asked some dude working at a gas station if she sounded like she was from the south. He confirmed it, though thankfully, Mrs. Bubbler doesn't say shit like "warsh" or "sweeper" for vacuum cleaner.

9. Killick

Had a Canadian at my college paper that I could have fallen pretty hard for, too. A French professor from Breton area (Isobel, went by "Izzy") that every dude in the class would have would have crawled over broken glass for, as well. Geez. It really is the little things that set us off, eh?

Oh, and Bubbler: My mom's from the hills of PA, and she says "warsh" and "Warshington" -- drives me nuts. "Mom! Where's the 'r' in that word!?" Come to think of it, she says sweeper, too, but that one never grated on me.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Attractive woman, British accent .. it's all over. Nothing better.

11. Bubbler

Lots of Hoosiers migrated from that area years ago, so it makes sense.

In some ways, that belt of Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Missouri that produces that accent is as southern-sounding than some other southern accents.

There's definitely a difference between, say, my buddy from South Carolina, or someone from Texas, but the accent still sounds "southern".

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

the warshington thing is weird, my principal called our high school lake warshington and he was from seattle, washington.

Draft saved Draft deleted