1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a news event you know little about?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 1, 2012.

1. I'm the same as a lot of you. Just don't keep up much with news, don't feel like it's worth expending much effort for the most part.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone else feel like you're actually less informed or mis-informed about some of these current news events due to Twitter? Particularly with the Trayvon Martin thing, I feel like I'm getting only one side of the story based on who I follow (mostly athletes, sports reporters, etc.).

Or I'll randomly catch a tweet about some news event that gives me a headline and a link, and because I don't actually follow through to click the link, I've now formed an impression based on just a headline.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

The big deal about the Hunger Games. I didn't know it was anything other than another movie until I saw on our paper's budget that we were sending someone to local theaters to do a story on its release. Truth be told, I didn't know anything about the Twilight series either. Still don't, really.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It doesn't make him feel any better. You knew that. He's trying to point and snicker at other people's attitudes in a passive/aggressive fashion that, for some strange reason, makes him feel like the smartest kid in the room.

But he got his attention now, so it's all good.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's why I tried to defuse the situation. :)

5. jr/shotglass

I know. One brownie badge in mediation for you. ;D

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Defuse the situation? Who's on IJAG's log-on right now?

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I know this was snark, but I have worked with journalists who just cared about watching sports all day with little desire or clue to read what's on what is going on in the real world. Substitute "American Idol" or reality TV for sports from former female colleagues of mine.

8. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I think anyone who relies on Twitter for all of their news consumption is doomed to be uninformed/misinformed.

9. Same here. I think I started tuning out about 10 years ago, which, oddly enough, coincides with the debut of American Idol. Timing is gold.

10. Well, if it were up to me, I wouldn't consume most of that news at all. But being that some of the people I care to follow do share their opinions on it or provide links to information, it can give me a false sense of what's going on. Didn't want to derail the thread, just wondered if anyone else had experienced that.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wait, shotglass is a detective?

12. jr/shotglass

Means I detected right, I suppose ...

Draft saved Draft deleted