1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if....?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Mar 6, 2009.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I have never regretted going into journalism, and I never will. I belong in it.

I regret what has happened since then to (practically) knock me out of the business.

I suspect this is the case with many, many people here.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

While I was a part-timer at my first shop and finishing college, many at the place told me not to major in journalism.

"Pick something else to have as a fall back," they said.

I took Door 1, also known as the easy way out and stuck with journalism. Yes, I minored in Philosophy, but what good is that?

I always thought I should have went for my teaching degree in history - or even better, early childhood ed. I actually had a job offer to work at a pre-school prior to getting my post at my current shop. I could work there as an assistant while I went back to school for my degree.

It was hard for me to say no to that. They tried so hard to get me to take the gig, they wanted a male role-model figure for the kids, and my cousin was one of the assistant directors at the school. I felt then like I let her down by saying no. Now, there are days when I think maybe I let myself down, again taking the easy way out.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No regrets here.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I would have gone into teaching, which I am going to head to grad school to do in a few months.

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this career.

I just wish I majored in something else that I was always equally interested in. You don't need to major in journalism to be a journalist. I could have taken J classes as electives, still worked on and been editor of the school paper and still gotten a job in the field despite majoring in anything else.

I've just been thinking lately that I was meant to do more for society than covering games and writing columns about athletics.

I am seriously considering a political career.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ditto, no matter what happens.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No regrets either. But I do look with envy at my younger brother, who after 15 years in the same job has a fair wage, three weeks paid vacation, quarterly and annual bonuses and a sound 401k with company match through private stock.

He's an hourly employee in a Publix bakery.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I would have either done everything the same, or everything differently. It's one or the other. But just based on the people I've had the dumb stupid good fortune to know along the way, I'd probably stay on the same path, even with the dead end sign in my face.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

FBI or military, although I'm convinced I would have been bored and restless within five years, regardless of the career path I chose.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No regrets about getting into the biz. Hell, that's all I can ever remember wanting to do. Somewhere along the way, that faded, at least to the point where I knew I wanted to get out and live a "normal" life. Don't regret the decision to get out, either. Yet.

I wish I could be the guy that does Man vs. Food. Or Tony Bourdain. Or anyone on the Travel Channel.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You're shitting me. :D

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Never stopped Jamie Moyer.

Draft saved Draft deleted