1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if this is as good as it gets?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That Buddha dude had it right from the beginning ...

1. Life means suffering.
    2. The origin of suffering is attachment.
    3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.
    4. The path to the cessation of suffering.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The three people I admire most in life were all Holocaust survivors.

The first (my grandfather) lost a wife and young daughter. The second (my grandmother) lost her husband. After the war, they met, got married and -- years later -- lost their eldest daughter.

The third (my great aunt) got married after the war, then became a single mother when her husband died of a heart attack.

They always tried to make the best of life. As long as I can remember, they laughed and smiled and did things that made them happy. When I was old enough to realize all of this I understood that there's no excuse to be unhappy. If they could find a way to enjoy things, I should too.

3. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Six years ago I had bachelor pad apartment, I covered sports for a living, I happily enjoyed freedom and was free of financial worry. Four years ago I was cleaning church bathrooms while my landlord -- in a dumpy apartment complex -- was on my case for domestic disputes. Now I'm married with a house, two awesome dogs, a beautiful wife and a communications-industry job. Crazy what life throws at you.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm with MisterCreosote in wondering if and hoping that Bradley is OK.

That said, if this stage of my life is as good as it gets -- and in some ways, I think it actually has been -- then I'd be satisfied that I've lived as well as I can given my means and my station in life.

Sure, there are things I'd like to be a little different, and things I'd like to accomplish that I don't know if I ever will, but to some extent, you can only live life as you go, and things are not often ever going to be perfect. The key is in realizing that, and going from there to make it as good as you can, and then, appreciating that.

Every stage of life is best in some ways, and not as good as others in other ways. From what I can tell, the truly toughest time is the so-called Golden Years, and it's too bad that they come, unfortunately, closer to the end of life than before then.

I'm not there yet, but I find that something my dad often said, only half in jest, frequently springs to mind: "Whoever said these were the Golden Years must have never gotten old."

When you lose health, mobility, independence, and, often, even your memories to some extent or other, you are left with...not much, except for, maybe, a perspective that leads to appreciation of whatever you might have had before. If this was my ideal world, we would respect, honor and care for our elderly in ways far more dignified and better than we often do.

Draft saved Draft deleted