1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'What if the newspaper industry made a colossal mistake?'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 18, 2016.

1. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

What happened?

Our paper dropped to three days a week and somehow managed to not print my father-in-law's obituary.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Frederick has an opinion on this matter?

dixiehack and Jake_Taylor like this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Three shitrags wanted to charge me a total of $3,100 for my dad's 200-word obit to run for one (1) day.

Gouging the bereaved you think you have hostage is always a good business strategy.

4. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

$3100? Good lord

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I've never read one word from an e-book. And I have no intention of starting. Paper, please.

6. Doc Holliday

Slideshows equal clicks. Clicks equal money. More slides to show, more clicks to click means more money!

It's Gold Jerry, gold I tell ya!

jr/shotglass likes this.
  7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It just sucks being able to take an entire library with you anywhere you go.

8. Doc Holliday

Yeah, well that's a thimble half full compared to what the funeral home wants.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That 200-word obit, had it run for one (1) day, would've cost three times as much as the urn we keep dad's ashes in. And it's a nice urn.

Newspapers can go fuck themselves.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Fredrick has been shamed. SHAMED!

(See signature below.)

11. Doc Holliday

You sure are an angry fellow.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Yep, that's one of the great things about it. There's nothing like being able to take pretty much whatever books you want with you, without ever lugging more than the half-pound or so that a Kindle weighs. I also love that it has its own light source, built-in dictionary, glare control and the ability to customize the fonts and font sizes to suit your visual needs.

I consider my $200 Kindle one of the most valuable, most useful and actually used things that I own, and it is one of the few material luxuries that I know I truly don't like to be without -- much more so than my phone or TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted