1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if...Gore had been elected president?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Over/under on this thread getting locked is four pages, but I figured it might be a fun way to fill an afternoon by watching the puppets dance.
    Was reading some of the oil and political threads, and started wondering about "what if" scenarios. What if we had opened ANWR in the 90s, what if we had never invaded Iraq, etc. And the biggest what if was, what if Gore had gotten the extra 600 votes he needed to win Florida and been elected president in 2000?
    I'll say 9/11 still happens, since that was in the makings for a while. And the partisan political battles would've continued, only flip-flopped from their current state. But other major issues of the last eight years, like the Iraq war and the gas situation, do those still come about? Were those things inevitable no matter who was in charge?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

If Al Gore had been elected, we would have this series of tubes ...

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

We'd be a hell of a lot better off.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the economy would have stayed in the pits after 9/11 and stayed bad pretty long. Gas would be $5 a gallon, with the extra $1 being a federal gas tax.

EDIT: Oh, and the House and Senate would be 55-45% GOP, only instead of blaming the President, the mainstream media would be blaming Congress.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Knock wood, but with virtually all of the knockdown thread-locking provocateurs
    on the sidelines, believe you're safe.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Advice - don't admit in the start of a thread that you expect it to get locked. If you really think that, don't start the damn thing.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or maybe Gore or people working for him that weren't just hired bootlickers would have paid attention to the briefings and the hijackers would have been stopped.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What if Al Gore hadn't invented the internet?

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think a terrorist attack would have happened, but I think at another time.
    Gore would have taken the blame and lost in 2004. Bush would have probably been elected as the country's savior and would be running again this time and would probably be reelected.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wasn't trying to provoke the lockdown, Moddy. I was genuinely curious about the topic. I just know how threads with any political slant quickly tend to turn ugly 'round these parts.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If Gore had won in 2000, a Bush would've been elected in 2004 -- but it wouldn't be W.

12. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

And we probably wouldn't be getting soaked by the environmentalists, who have fed off the "Bush Screwed Us Over in Iraq" movement" and have our economy on the edge of peril.

Draft saved Draft deleted