1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What I did on my summer vacation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Aug 17, 2008.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

So, I’ve had the summer of my life. After 4½ years of office work, depression and various other adventures I have come back to my life. It’s hard to explain how amazing my experience on Belle-Ile has been. The role was perfect for me, my colleagues were wonderful and I’ve found the place I’m taking JR on our (some day) honeymoon.

The people are wonderful as is Belle-Ile (an island off the Brittany Coast). There is an open air market each morning where I bought fresh veggies, dried sausage and fresh goat cheese. There was always baguette on hand and a good bottle of burgundy costs about 3 Euros ($ 5.00). The stores opened in the mornings and closed from about noon or 12:30 until 2:30 or 3 PM for lunch. The opera performances were in The Citadel which is exactly that … the fort that stood on the cliff above Le Palais ( the largest town on the island). It is an amazing place that refuses to allow stress.

I haven’t watched TV for 6 weeks. I’ve barely been on line. I’ve read, walked and talked with colleagues. Drank bottles of red wine and ate late night galettes at sidewalk tables. Honestly, I would live there if it were possible.

Beyond that, here are some random photos I’d like to share …. http://www.flickr.com/photos/29631998@N03

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

HC, that looks FANTASTIC!

Welcome back, sunshine. :)

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm so jealous.

I'm sort of romantic when it comes to traveling. One of my major goals is to take Mrs. TBF to some of the places I've been in Europe. Although I haven't been to France, it's definitely on the list.

Glad to have you back. Not as glad as JR, I bet, but glad none the less.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

BTW, she's not back yet. She missed her Sunday flight from Paris (long story, not her fault) and she started this thread from the Novotel in the Charles De Gaulle airport. She'll be back Monday

I can't tell everyone how much I've missed her.

What she didn't tell you was that she was a star over there.

Next up: Sound of Music.

5. Do they need journalists there? I'd be a good investment for their wine industry.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As JR parries away the blatant bid for nuptials.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Nah Dools. He already said yes when I proposed. :D

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Congrats, HC! Hopefully this is the start of many more fabulous adventures and rewarding work!

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

awesome. thanks for the pics.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That cracked me up.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Have been to France, but not that part. Hopefully I'll get there one day!

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

For those keeping track, I have finally made it home to Canuckistan. Barely.

I arrived late in Philly and since they changed my flight I was tagged as a recent purchase and then had to have my bags searched as a possible smuggler. Of course, it took an hour to find my bag by which time I had missed my connecting flight to Toronto.

So, I got home at 11 PM (5 AM French time) after arriving at the Paris airport at 9:30 this morning.

Thank God I have a light schedule tomorrow.

And thank God I'm home with JR.

Draft saved Draft deleted