1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What HOF-level coaches could you have played for?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Even after the NFL season ended, I've been watching the America's Game series on NFL Network religiously. The series is about all 40 Super Bowl-winning teams. It's more enlightening and balanced than the typical NFL Films fare. Some of it funny too, there's a Max McGee soundbyte from '66 where he says he fucked a lot of women between 8-11 because of curfew, but he was a beast after curfew. Totally caught me off guard and it's understandable why it hasn't aired until now.

Anyway in watching this show, it has made me appreciate some coaches on a new level. Bill Walsh, for example, was painted with the genius label so much I never really knew how good he was at keeping his team's motivated and on his page. Conversely, many of the old Cowboys were a bit critical of Tom Landry's cold approach.

What HOF coaches, from any sport, do you think you could have played for? On the flip side, what HOF coaches do you think you would have struggled with?

Here's the coaches I think I could have played for ...

NFL
    Hank Stram
    Don Shula
    Bill Walsh
    Jimmy Johnson
    Mike Holmgren

Basketball (NBA and college)
    Dean Smith
    Phil Jackson
    John Wooden
    Al McGuire
    Chuck Daly
    Don Nelson
    ... I'm sure there's more

Haven't given baseball enough thought yet.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I've only got to watch several episodes of "America's Game" (my brother in-law has a dish. I have expanded cable). The show just wraps you up in the stories on how these teams got there and the thoughts, feelings, and what each player and coach were doing at that time.

I have a few coaches I could have played for...

NFL and College FB
    George Halas
    Bill Walsh
    Vince Lombardi
    Bill Parcells
    Jimmy Johnson
    Hayden Fry
    Bobby Bowden
    Joe Paterno
    Darryl Royal

NBA and College BB
    Bobby Knight
    Dr. Tom Davis
    Chuck Daly
    Phil Jackson
    Ray Meyer
    Al McGuire
    Johnny Orr
    K.C. Jones
    John Wooden
    Buzz Levick (my college's long time coach. He retired before I got up there.)

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

FOOTBALL
    Tony D'Amato
    Bud Kilmer

BASKETBALL
    Pete Bell
    Norman Dale

BASEBALL
    Mike Leak
    Lou Brown

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Dale was all recruiting and hype. He was the Bobby Bowden of his era. Suck up to Chitwood's guardian and pseudo-grandmother. Once he's on the team, throw the ball to Chitwood and get out of the way. Shooter was the Tex Winter of the operation -- guy gets the chance to design one play and he comes up with the picket fence.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

None. I sucked.

OK, Mike Leak

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'd have to go along with most of the guys in Bubbler's list, but I would have loved to have played for Bobby Knight just so I could have been the player who KTFO'd him after he choked me.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

My only reason for adding Knight to my list is that I can put up with his schtick. My high school coach is a mirror image of him, when it comes to cursing kids out, acting the damn fool, and being salty to anyone who gets fresh with him. Knight would be a walk in the park for me.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Some good names on this list. I'll add Bobby Cox.

9. Not only that, but Dale almost gave the state title away with stupid over-coaching in the final seconds.

Draft saved Draft deleted