1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Happened to Sean Jensen?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kweonsam, Jul 18, 2014.

1. kweonsam

kweonsam New Member

I spoke with him earlier and asked him why he isnt in ESPN or a major news company. He said he interviewed for both but didnt get in apparently. Now he is a managing editor for thrivesports.com. i wonder hoe much a site like that pays him? In the past did Sean have some personal problems that limits him from going to ESPN? IM curious

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Forgive me but who is Sean Jensen ?

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Sean covered the Vikings for the St. Paul paper and then went to the Sun-Times as, I believe, the national guy. Sean is a great reporter. He is also not well-liked by many of his peers, which hardly makes him a rarity among reporters. He has been involved in a few controversies during his career that may take him out of the running for certain jobs. Again, the same can be said about quite a few reporters.

Without any direct knowledge about how Thrive Sports works, it seems that often if a website like that has a big name writer, they pay a decent chunk for 1-2 writers and then hope they get the page views needed to lure advertisers and readers. He also may own a portion of the site and his pay may be based on how it does.

Sometimes, this works, often it does not.

It's the same way with some of the Rivals/Scout team sites where some of them are run incredibly well and the writers who work there make really good money. I also know several writers who have left good jobs at good papers for jobs at Rivals sites only to find out after the fact that the people running the site have no clue what they're doing, and they're out of work within the year. I have friends who have worked for a few SEC sites who experienced this. IIRC, there were serious issues with the Georgia, Florida and Auburn sites. How would anyone know this, while other Rivals sites like Orangebloods, which covers Texas, are incredibly successful.

With any of these startup sites, there is gigantic risk involved.

4. kweonsam

kweonsam New Member

Thanks for the explanation. But by controversial things he did, what dp uou mean? Ehat exactly dod he do

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Google?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I hate threads that speculate on individual media members. Other than he's currently employed (which answers the question), who cares?

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think this thread was worth it if only for a nicely nuanced response by RecoveringJournalist to a poorly executed inquiry.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

We gotta get a better brand of newbie around here.

9. Receiving a Twitter reply from Jensen must be the highlight of your life thus far.

Draft saved Draft deleted