1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happened to professional courtesy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsguydave, Jun 23, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's no excuse for people in the communication business to fail in this area. Communicate. It's easier than ever.

2. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

The number of resumes sent for job openings are a record numbers, but having seen some in recent months, almost all are suited only for the trash can. Either they're completely unqualified, can't follow instructions, or write a miserable, unappealing cover letter. My advice: if you're really qualified, write a compelling cover letter that stands out. Editors and HR people are so punch drunk from looking at so many no-hopers that they're likely to fall asleep looking at yours unless you give them a reason.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

PT, if you're talking about acknowledging every application received, and updating every applicant on the status of the job search, then I'm afraid we still don't agree. Communications IS easier these days -- but time is at a premium for a lot of bosses.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Fair enough, SF. I can't relate to getting 300 resumes, I've never been in that position. I know I wouldn't lose sleep over not keeping in touch with a candidate who got my name wrong, wasn't remotely qualified or otherwise was barking up the wrong tree in applying.

But for everyone else, there's gotta be a better way. All these job boards and there isn't a way for editors/hiring managers to update their postings to tell everyone how the search is going, or that the job is filled? Only time I ever see "closure" on jobs is on the sj jobs board when someone says a position is filled or frozen or whatever. Someone needs to create a better way -- it would save everyone time in the long run.

5. Look at it this way... everybody is busy. And everybody's been the person waiting for someone to get back to them about a possible future that will impact their life forever. It's not unimportant. Sometimes being first rate means taking the harder path. That's why there is a difference. When these things happen... who do you want to work for? The person who is "too busy" to be a complete pro, or the person who will cut corners? Because some day, that same person will make other decisions about your life.

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I agree with much of what everyone's saying, and I see both sides, having been on both sides of the table recently. I, too, can't relate to getting 300 resumes. I had a hard enough time with 30. And I had the same problem: some people woefully unqualified.

As playthrough said, though .. there has to be a better way. We are in the communication business, after all.

I did receive a response to a package I sent out last night .. an auto response. But that's something. A little bit of courtesy goes a long way.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I can certainly live with an automated response via email.

two examples: I applied for a job at a state university, application packet send via mail.Got a nice email acknowledging my application and letting me know I would hear more in 4-6 weeks. I really appreciated that.

Also applied to a certain sports conference for a PR position via email. Much to my shock, I got a regular snail mail letter the next week. I expected it to be a rejection letter, but it wasn't. Just a letter saying thanks for the application and we will be in touch later.

Of course, for every one of those, there are dozens I never hear back from.

Draft saved Draft deleted