1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happened to me? CMA Awards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Nah, I think that's probably Toby Keith. He's a horse's ass, but the man is a helluva songwriter.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Paisley, when not stuck in funny mode, writes great songs, too. And he's a very good guitar player. Very good. He's much more of a complete artist than Keith.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Paisley's a better songwriter, better singer and probably the best guitarist in Nashville, period.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm almost wondering if there is something wrong with the audio mix the singers are getting because Swift isn't the only one who sounded a bit off. And yet Carrie Underwood's stuff with Paisley has been fine.

Beards also having a good night with Zac Brown, Jamey Johnson, Lady Antebellum ...

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

God, I love Lady Antebellum.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

One word: Auto-Tune. Of course some of them are going to sound "a bit off." They don't have their safety net.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My uncle, who signed Kraft as the CMA sponsor while he was president of the CMA, would thank you for this.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

And it was on Monday instead of Wednesday ... until the NFL got tired of getting its ass kicked in the Nielsens and bribed the CMA to move to any day but Monday.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Better than Vince Gill?

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Gill's been surpassed.

If you haven't given Paisley's mostly-instrumental album Play a spin yet, you missed something really good.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got to say for the first time in several years, after watching the show I'm encouraged about country music again, not just with those who performed, but those who were honored. Singer-songwriters who could play an instrument were what got me hooked on the genre, when it went all Abercrombie and Fitch - I bailed.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Hell of a tune, though

Draft saved Draft deleted