1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happened to Gretzky's face?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ringer, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Does age make one boob rise above the other one, too?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's fine. He stank of alcohol, slurred his words, burped a lot, was unsteady on his feet, and during one news conference took a long pause that had onlookers briefly wondering if he was going to vomit.

I suppose there could be multiple interpretations of this. Most took it as an indication that he had been drinking. A lot.

It's not like I have an ax to grind here. Hell, I named a cat after the guy. I hope it's not an issue for him at this point, but it was pretty clearly an issue then.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

The Changingman indeed.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Was this stuff reported at the time? (I don't know, really just asking.)

If it was as bad as you describe, how could a reporter not include it in a story?

5. PCLoadLetter

"I'd like to see us (burp) become more aggressive on the power play," said Gretzky, who smelled of beer.

Kind of hard to work it into a story without a whole lot of supporting information... that you ain't gonna get. So no, it wasn't reported.

Not sure how newsworthy it is. Is it affecting his job performance? I think he was probably a shitty coach and team president without the alcohol. He didn't seek treatment, didn't get into trouble, didn't do anything other than seem kind of drunk during a number of public appearances. It's unfortunate, obviously, but also far from unique.

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I always thought he was a pussy too.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

On a similar (albeit happier) note, where'd the rest of John Daly go?

[​IMG]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/08/john-daly-weight-loss-bef_n_384759.html

8. PCLoadLetter

Not to tell tales out of school, but I'm told he used to drink as well.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

very nice

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So where did this happen? After practice, after a game, at a chaity function?

11. PCLoadLetter

Morning skatearounds. Press conferences.

The press conference announcing the firing of Bobby Francis was when we legitimately thought he was about to puke on the table.

And to be clear, JC: I don't particularly give a shit if you believe me on this or not. I hesitated posting it in the first place because I feel like a dick bringing it up, and don't particularly get off on besmirching the character of one of the greatest athletes of all time, who also happens to be a really nice guy.

But then again, the guy did interviews at 10 am while seemingly potted. And I suspect that could eventually take a toll on his appearance.

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

He's Canadian....the Irish think they're drunks.

Draft saved Draft deleted