1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What great lacrosse ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Mar 28, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same high school as Cole Hamels.

He's lucky to have grown up in one of the very few areas out west with high-level lacrosse -- the very ritzy high schools on the San Diego coast (Rancho Bernardo, La Costa Canyon, La Jolla, Torrey Pines, et al.) In fact, CIF still doesn't even sanction a regional or state championship in boys or girls lacrosse.

2. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Heidi

3. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I, too, was waiting for the hockey to begin. My biggest lax question was: Why did the teams stop trying to score in OT? They stopped shooting!

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Keep in mind that I wasn't suggesting an all-out cutaway. Instead, I was suggesting they move it to a sister channel. Happens all the time -- especially in golf.

I also wonder why this regular season game warranted coverage on the Deuce? How many regular season college soccer, hockey or baseball games were aired on ESPN/ESPN2 this year? I think I don't even need one hand to count.

Why should Lax be different? The demographics?

5. Well, it was being played on the east coast, so there's that. ;)

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Which was exactly why I turned it off after the third or fourth OT. Got about as boring as soccer. And I enjoy watching lacrosse.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The defenses were smothering in the OTs, so it wasn't really like the teams weren't trying to score. Guys who near the goal were getting hammered. Maryland had trouble getting shots off even when they were a man up.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

As a UVa grad/fan, I'm a casual lax follower, and they usually get a regular-season game on TV every year, to the best of my recollection. Sometimes it's Princeton, Syracuse or Hopkins, but they chose Maryland this year. I guess it was because it was basically the ACC regular-season championship.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

There's been a lot of lacrosse on ESPNU the past couple of years. I think they usually put a game or two on ESPN or the Duece (with more of the Lax 101 stuff they did yesterday) as a way to promote the sport/their coverage.

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

It reminded me of watching a hockey team's power play working the puck around and around but rarely shooting. I don't know enough about lax. I recognized that the defenses were good, but I was surprised that they just didn't seem to attempt any shots, as if they were waiting for the perfect scoring chance.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Haven't watched a full game of lacrosse in oh, geez, um, how about, um, never.

Till yesterday. Great game and quite enthralling. Wish Maryland had won -- seems they should have considering that timeout the refs thought was called.

Agree with the sentiment the teams stopped shooting, but it seemed to me that maintaining possession of the ball was/is more important in a sudden-victory situation than taking tons of ill-advised shots.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Biased UVa fan here, but the Hoos would have won in regulation if not for the Maryland shot that hit two pipes, never crossed the line and was ruled a goal.

Draft saved Draft deleted