1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What exactly is management?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Leaver?, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Leaver?

Leaver? New Member

Interested to get other peoples views on this.
    Is a Sports Editor management?
    I mean most of those guys worked their way up through the newspaper and they tend to understand where reporters are coming from, but how do others view them, management or not?
    What's it actually like being a Sports Editor, I'd imagine you could get squeezed from both ends?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

SEs are management. As are ASEs.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I'd say if you have an E attached to your title you are management, but to what degree depends on your shop and the size. I'm sure some SEs have more pull than people with the same job at a different paper, but that all depends on how the ME or EE looks at sports and the section.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Copy editors usually are not management, though there are places that try to make them so they don't have to pay overtime.

5. lono

lono Active Member

What is management? Ask Cindybj.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I am managing to continue to be employed as a sports editor, so I suppose you can say it's a management position in more than one sense.

Of course, I have held the S.E. title in shops with no other full-time sports personnel, which makes the management status rather problematic.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Don't most states have a law prohibiting putting someone on salary unless they're directly in charge of X amount of people?

8. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I'm in the management-without-staff class.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm an SE, with a staff of .5 and some freelancers (and my boss stresses the word "free").

There are manager meetings on Monday at 8 a.m. Two years solid, never been asked to, or why I didn't, attend.

Hence, I'm not management.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

I think most real definitions of management, in union shops, is someone who can hire and fire and make budgetary decisions.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When I was an assistant sports editor, I was not considered management.
    When I was acting sports editor, I had management duties but not management pay/perks and had to go to someone else to do the things - signing off on expense reports, overtime, etc. - that a "real" manager could do.
    When I became sports editor, Pinocchio became a real boy. Management pay, perks (such as they are which they really aren't), etc. They did away with assistant editors and went to deputy editors, who are considered management.

I originally thought this thread was more philosophical and my answer was going to be, "a major headache, pretty much every damn day!"

12. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

I would consider my former SE a supervisor, not a manager.

The difference I see is that a supervisor can do some tasks, such as give performance reviews, set schedules, etc., but has no control over hiring/firing and money. So the ME was a manager.

But that was just my experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted