1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What exactly is in that Fahrvergnugen, VW?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by murphyc, Sep 21, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This was better than I had hoped for.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Doesn't OBD-II emissions inspections only check for fault codes and readiness states?

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The car is not going to perform to the specs that it was originally sold.

US Steel had about 350,000 employees at one time. Now they have around 50,000. I care a lot more about that than a bunch of fuckers who are lying cheats. I have no problem if their stock goes down 90% in value. Shit, they should buy back the fucking cars from people, at full price, from the people who are pissed they have a fucking car that won't pass emissions.

5. doctorquant

Right around the time I graduated from high school, my father bought a '61 Beetle. He had designs on one day turning it into an electric car (he never got around to it before my stupid ass rolled it into a ditch a few years later). In the interim, we decided to fix it up a bit, one part of which was to rebuild the engine. We were convinced its steady knock was caused by a cam bearing that had worn out. The afternoon before we started working on it, I had it out with some friends and had it wound up pretty good (say 70 mph). But when my father and I tore the engine down the next day, we found cam bearings in pretty good shape ... and a crankshaft that was (and long had been) in two pieces.

The damn things weren't speed demons, but they'd run like hell.

6. JohnHammond

VW has about 592,000 employees. You think more than a few hundred at most are "fuckers who are lying cheats?" I think a guy who claims to be a school administrator who posts during the school day is a bigger scumbag.

cjericho likes this.
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A few hundred bucks a year? You can buy a brand new one for between $250 and $700 at Sears, never mind paying $250 plus parts to repair it.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It covers all the appliances, not just the one appliance. So if two appliances break down in a year, then it helps. Plus, the appliances I've seen are more expensive. I paid $800 for my stove, for instance. As for refrigerators, the cheapest one was $450, there was another one for $600, and the rest were $800 to more than $2,000.

9. JohnHammond

Be sure to get the green stuff and the undercoating, too.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I guess school employees never get a break. It's a strange world you live in.

There are over 8 million school employees in America, but it's OK to shit all over them whenever we want, right?

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. doctorquant

Any kind of extended warranty -- electronics, cars, appliances, you name it -- that's out there is going to be a bad deal (meaning you'll pay way the hell more for it than you'd reasonably, or even unreasonably, expect to lay out for repairs). But peace of mind has its value, too.

amraeder likes this.
  12. JohnHammond

I think Devil is mistaken regarding emissions tests. Modern emissions "tests" do not test emissions.

Draft saved Draft deleted