1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What, exactly, does a movie have to do to get an "R" rating these days?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Sep 23, 2009.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Cable networks actually can show whatever they want. They modify content in deference to advertisers. I guess the advertisers who run ads in the middle of the night on Comedy Central -- Girls Gone Wild and phone sex lines -- don't much care about offending people and would rather have the additional eyeballs.

And a huge second to the recommendation of "This Film Is Not Yet Rated," a really interesting look at the clandestine MPAA process.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Try watching Reservoir Dogs next to someone who is black.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought the rule was more than one fuck meant an R rating. I remember being really disappointed when neither Beavis nor Butthead dropped the f bomb in "B&B Do America."

Piggybacking BTExpress' post about profanity in Scarface: I read somewhere that Red Dawn, which was the first PG-13 movie, had more acts of violence per minute than any movie in history. Thereby proving that the question I posed in the first post is in fact timeless, or at least 25 years old. :D

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

The real question is what does a movie have to do to get an NC-17? There was a great column in EW a while back arguing that if Hostel 2 didn't get one, they should just admit they're hypocrites and get rid of the rating.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I remember hearing about that. I haven't seen Hostel 2 (or Hostel 1), but I saw Saw III, and THAT was the most disturbing thing I've ever seen. If that didn't get an NC-17, just admit that it will never be tagged to a mainstream film and go on bullying the arthouse freaks.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You can show all the gory dismemberments and torture you want, but if you show a penis then you'll get an NC-17.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

How about a tortured penis?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do we see the penis? Or is it implied?

Didn't Eastern Promises get an NC-17 because of the nude fight scene? I seem to remember they cut a few seconds out of it to get an R.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Anyone here see The Hangover?

Way too long of a dick scene in that movie.

10. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Ditto for Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Kevin Bacon had a string of several films about ten years ago where he showed his bacon in every film.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sideways had a full male frontal and still got the R.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

"The Hammer" (Adam Carolla's boxing movie) is rated R because the F-bomb is dropped twice in the movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted