1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What don't I know about social media?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Jan 17, 2012.

1. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

What are the other fractions?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you'll fit in just fine around here.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

THE BOARD HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN FOR LESS THAN THIS!!!

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

New social media spring up constantly. Each medium is more similar in function than functionality. The crucial part to understand is the theory behind it. Real social-media experts are those who understand what people want out of technology and society and work to fulfill those desires for the masses in the most efficient ways possible. If you're just trying to win a job, you can afford to discuss potential smartphone applications, LinkedIn networks, Facebook fan pages, Twitter promotion and YouTube channels. But to really understand this world and be cut out for survival in it, you've got to fully comprehend the way people use the technology around them.

Google-Plus doesn't suck in theory. It's got fine functionality, particularly for those who use Google Chrome and often conduct Google searches. But Google-Plus didn't bring enough to the table and was too complex for people. No one reads instruction manuals. The circles concept was ostracizing and made people choose friends publicly, which no one likes to do. But when Google-Plus launched, there were many companies who pushed development on that platform and threw away money and man-power on a service that hasn't worked in its current incarnation. That's a problem because Google-Plus sucks.

Social media require intuitiveness and an understanding of your core audience more than technology skills. But if your concern is winning a job interview, just throw out the key phrases mentioned earlier in this thread. There are very few people in hiring capacities in public relations departments of universities who have a real grasp of social-media theory.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From what I can tell, there's a ton of statistical analysis involved, and the bosses always want to know all of that immediately. The social media coordinator also gets hounded from sponsors/vendors/individual cities/events. Individual players and their agents also ask for help in launching their own social media accounts.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'd argue there are very few people in newsrooms who have a real grasp of social-media theory.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

And I would agree. I didn't say otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted