1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What don't I know about social media?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Jan 17, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So since getting laid off in November, I got hired on to do PR part-time at my alma mater. I've essentially been a placeholder until they are able to post the full-time job, which takes awhile because it's a state job.

Another girl was hired at the same time as I was so that, basically, the two of us would handle the responsibilities of the full-time guy who departed. She was assigned to the social media side of his duties, while I got the writing side.

Through a conversation I had today, I get the feeling they may hire her full-time because they want to focus more on social media. I'm a little bit devastated because I think I've been doing a damn good job and I simply haven't had the opportunity to shoulder the tasks she was given.

But as much as it hurts, I've got a week or two before they begin interviewing for the full-time job and that gives me time to figure out what I need to do to convince them I can do that part of the job with equal effectiveness and that I'm better at the things I've been doing.

No offense to anyone, including her, but I feel like social media is the easy portion of the job. I can come up with 140 characters on anything and I can link to the articles produced by other members of the staff. I can post video, I'm an excellent photographer and I'm awesome using photoshop, if that were to be needed. I can take those photos and upload them. I can come up with trivia questions and contests and otherwise engage my audience.

So what am I missing? What are the skills I need that I'm not already using with my current responsibilities? I haven't had to necessarily use Facebook or Twitter professionally, but it seems like if you can interview, write and take photos, and you have a working knowledge of social media, it should be an easy transition, no?

Am I way off? Is this a specialized skill?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

List every social media site that you can think of off the top of your head. You have 60 seconds. I think the other posters on this board can help out from there.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Be careful where you send dong shots.

4. You know what, she's asking good questions here and is obviously distressed about this and is asking people whose judgment she trusts for help.

Think about that before posting inane jokes.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Um, bigpern isn't a "she."

6. 93Devil

Pern, seriously. List the social sites that you know of. I'm sure there are some you have never heard of before, and this could be the shortcoming in your resume.

7. Well, whatever, "he" wrote "another girl was hired," which indicated to me "he" was a she. Would you write "another girl was hired," if you weren't a girl?

But the point stands. I hate when people ask legit questions on this board and the response is an endless stream of truly bad jokes.

8. bigpern23

93, off the top of my head I'd say: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn and Foursquare.

I guess you could add Flickr, Tumblr and Snapfish, but those are more photosharing sites.

There's also tweetdeck and hootsuite, but those are more social media managers.

Thanks for the backup there, Dog, but LTL was referring to a photo I accidentally posted a few years ago that changed to a rather graphic shot involving an asian guy with a big dong and a parrot. The joke was taken in good fun.

And IJAG is correct.

EDIT: If I'm including photosharing sites, I should include YouTube as well.

9. bigpern23

I probably could have said "another person," but didn't delve that deeply into the word choice there. No worries.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tnx bigpern, didn't seem like my line was out of bounds, glad you didn't take it as such.

11. bigpern23

I actually got a much-needed chuckle out of it.

12. 93Devil

I think some of the more savvy members of the board can take it from here.

FWIW, if I were hiring a person to run social media for me, it would be very important to me that they were up to date on the all the privacy and copyright laws.

Draft saved Draft deleted