1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What DOES The Second Amendment Mean?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

What's greater, Inky... the odds of someone breaking into your house or the odds of your kid getting hold of the gun and having it accidentally go off? (OK, not "you" because I'm sure you're a responsible gun owner. But far too many people are not responsible)

2. Oh, oh, I know. The second one. What do I win?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If we start banning things because people aren't responsible, then alcohol should be atop the list.

4. I'd put cars above alcohol while we're at it.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

My view can be found by looking at these two answers... we're so goddamned afraid of our own shadows in this country that everyone feels like they need protection.

Seriously: What are the odds of someone breaking into your home while you're there? In my city ... a city of over 100,000 ... it's pretty damned low. On top of that, we get 6-7 murders a year. The FUCK is everyone so afraid of?

Additionally... If someone does break into my home, what are the odds that I can hear them, then roll out of bed, get the gun out of the safe (where it would reside so my 5-year-old couldn't blow his brain out the back of his head playing with it), get the ammo out of the other safe area (see last parenthetical), then haul ass into the living room?

Shit, by the time I get down there, one of two things has happened:

1.) Burglar has heard me and is gone.
    2.) Burglar had so much time to work with that he's finished and gone.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That's why you take it out of the safe every night and sleep with it under your pillow, locked and loaded. Whoooo!

7. Inky_Wretch

I certainly understand what you're saying.

I keep my guns in a safe in a locked closet. The ammo is elsewhere. (And I don't even have kids yet.) But a criminal doesn't know that. Get rid of pistols and maybe that little fear in their mind is gone.

8. What DOES A Yellow Light Mean?

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

What does the Second Amendment mean?

It means I can own a gun. Period.

I do. Plenty of them.

Unless the Constitution is amended, and I do not believe it will be, that's how I'll happily interpret it.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

That it is a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT is what's outdated.

Hell, driving a car isn't a RIGHT. It's a privilege the state can revoke.

That Americans believe its a God-given right to own a gun is just completely fucked up

there's a reason there are more gun deaths in the U.S. than in any other non-warring country in the world.

11. Inky_Wretch

And the government can revoke your right to own a firearm (any firearm, not just pistols).

12. The problem you have is that the only SCOTUS precedent available disagrees with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.