1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you wear to visitation?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do you wear a suit like a funeral? Or are slacks OK?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I usually wear a suit or a coat and tie.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Frank probably makes the rules on this.

But I would say you'd wear what you would wear to a funeral, or slacks and a dark sport coat, minus the tie.

4. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I would wear a suit, but if you don't have one just wear the nicest clothes you've got. Unless it's a close family member and you'll actually be greeting people. I've seen people wearing slacks and a button-up or polo shirt and didn't think any less of them. Your presence is what counts.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I saw this thread title and I swear I thought you wanted to know what to wear to visit someone in prison....that was weird...

Just look decent. I buried both my parents when I was fairly young and I can tell you I don't remember a damn thing that anyone wore. Except me. I wore red to my mom's.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I always wear a suit.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You'll never be overdressed in a suit/tie. I went to a visitation a few weeks ago in a rural area and there were a few people in jeans, having just got off work. I don't think anyone cared. Again, it's being there that counts.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'd go with the suit.

As a side note, my best friend's husband, who I'd never seen in a regular suit (he wore a tuxedo at their wedding), wore a suit to my dad's funeral. It made a huge impact on me. It made it seem like he really cared. It might sound stupid and in my emotional state, I probably made more of it than I normally might, but I will always remember that.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If someone walks into the Goose wearing a shirt and tie, the speculation is they've either been to a funeral or court.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Suit if you can or whatever you were wearing at work is just fine.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Best case scenario: Suit, dress shirt, tie, dress slacks, belt, dress shoes.
    Second best: Dress shirt, tie, dress slacks, belt, dress shoes.
    At minimum: Dress shirt, dress slacks, belt, dress shoes.

You don't want to look like Zeke's latest conquest. ;)

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Having attended way too many lately, I've seen it run the gamut. On a weeknight, you're liable to get folks in work clothes and folks in suits.

So, however dressy you want to be, I think. Can't go wrong with a suit, a shirt and tie or even a sport coat and no tie.

Draft saved Draft deleted