1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you want for Christmas/Hannukah/Kwaanza/Festivus?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I already know my big gift is the Kindle Fire.

I'm curious what kind of things the rest of you are getting/asking for...

If I don't think of something else to ask for, I'm going to wind up with a Kindle Fire, a case for it, a ton of NFL sweatshirts, that people now think is OK to get me since I don't cover the league anymore. I don't mind, I just think it's funny...

So what do you hope to be getting? :D

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

different relatives!

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

1. An Instyler
    2. A Wii
    3. Cooking stuff and cookbooks and the like
    4. Sweaters

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm at the point where I'd really prefer not to get anything from people - and by "people," I mean my parents, who are the only people who buy me anything.

I usually just ask my mom for a bunch of books and a few CD's. I don't trust her to buy clothes for me.

I'm trying to get rid of stuff accumulated over the years, not add to it.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Nothing.

Seriously. My girlfriend and I aren't buying each other anything. Instead, we're saving that money to hopefully go on a trip next year to see members of both of our families.

Not buying anything for my mom or getting anything either. The furloughs this year have left me no money to spend on gifts. I'm lucky to be making my car payments. I'll be happy to be around friends and family for the holidays.

6. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I have thousands of CDs and DVDs I would love to sell back to anyone... I know there's one of those places that will send you a pre-paid box and then will pay you for it. I need to do that. I couldn't tell you the last time I watched a DVD that wasn't for kids. I listen to CDs occasionally, but pretty much everything is on the computer...

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Before the reviews came out, I wanted a Kindle Fire, now I think I'll wait until the next version. So I really have no idea what to ask for.

8. Dick Whitman

Same boat.

Wife and I haven't bought each other a gift in years for any occasion.

9. Dick Whitman

I was at a friend's house one night, catching a game, and we were talking about how we used to buy DVD's.

He put it best, as he eyeballed his collection: "Do you really think that some night is going to arrive when I say, 'Hey, honey, what do you say we watch 'Funny Farm' tonight?"

10. Mizzougrad96

I have a friend who is much more technologically advanced than I am. He used to have the DVD collection that we all wish we had and now he has every single movie he used to own on an external hard drive that is about the size of my wallet.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We got out gifts in August when we bought iPads in advance of my daughter's move to Honduras. With the Face Time - she was able to "attend" her cousin's wedding via FT - it has more than paid for itself.

So I hope nothing. Our two-city life is a bit of a jumble right now and we can't afford it anyway. I'm getting my wife something small, something small for each of the kids and a few odds and ends for various and sundry others. A friend just had a book come out, so I bought a stack and asked him to sign them. LOTS of people getting the book. I even had one signed for myself. Merry Christmas to me.

We will use the iPad on Christmas to Face Time with my daughter, who is not coming home.

Don't tell her, but my father-in-law and I are going in together on one more gift for The Queen. We're getting her a round-trip ticket to Honduras to visit our daughter.

Oh, lots of people are getting CDs, too.

12. Mizzougrad96

I'm not criticizing you in any way, but that kind of makes me sad...

Draft saved Draft deleted